Not able to work due to perimenopause. Anxiety, depression, fatigue.

Posted , 14 users are following.

I started perimenopause June 2013. Miss periods for two to three months, then get cycles again for one or two months. Then no period again for two to three months. This has been pattern. I feel great, normal when periods start. Then I crash hard when cycles stop. Chronic depression, anxiety, panic, fatigue, insomnia, doom and gloom. I quit my job in November, 2013. I came close to returning several times. But my anxiety, depression and all rises and Ihave yet to return tto work. 

I was diagnosed with PTSD, panic attacks, depression 20 years ago. Wentworth thru therapy for 4 years. Been on 10mg Paxil since. Was able to work, function very well. 

Then perimenopause slammed me June,  2013. Almost cost me my marriage of 29 years. Lost my job, my sanity, social life, confidence, suicidal thoughts, etc. I always was very active, social, energetic, FUNNY, I miss me so much. 

I was couch bound November thru February. Finally went into therapy in March. They upped my paxil, added busparone. Temporarily made me feel good, but I eventually felt worse after months of this. I'm back down to 10mg Paxil, No busparone, I take supplements now . 

I still cannot go backto work . I cannot expected to hold down a job when I know these fluctuations continue. I am looking into SS disabilities, but Ikknow it takes years and low chance of approval. 

Anyone else not able to work due to perimenopause or menopause?  Please share. Thank you!  Karen

1 like, 93 replies

93 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

i just wanted to reassure you that you are not alone. I was fine when my periods were late but two weeks prior to coming on (not knowing this at the time though) I would out of the blue wake up feeling so out of source and couldn't go to work (luckily I help run our own business with my husband), during this time I would have terrible doom and gloom thoughts, loss of appetite, feeling nausea, very tearful, had no self worth, feeling very low and thought some terrible was wrong with me! I have had all the usual checks and all was ok!. Find yourself a very understanding doctor because you will need someone who will empathise with what you are feeling and put your mind at rest!

Look back on here and see the list of 66 symptoms and seeing things on there that may be how you are feeling have been experiencing!

i take good balance of vitamins, Busy B with a good recommend dose which has B6,

liquid iron, omega 3, Vit C,B12 and menopol plus. Spray Vit D,The one thing that has helped with me was the spray magnesium which I have a day and night one which you can get from holland and Barrett. When using both I feel very calm very quickly! 

Massive hugs to you Karen and hopefully will hear from you again very soon with your progress ! The ladies on here are all so lovely and we all try and help each other with sharing our different ideas!

i also find having accupuncure very calming as well, and also Reki. 

Take care Karen xxx Joylol

• Posted

Hi Joy 😃

quick hello 😃

very calming Reki ? i find Enrique very very calming, pleasing to my eye and like heaven in my ears 😃😃😃😃😃 oooo errr Mrs 

Jayxx 

• Posted

Taz 

hahahahahaha

sorry hes mine ... love his music .. in english and spanish..

sexy little devil too ..

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Joy, thank you so much. I also take Omega 3. Joint supps, coconut oil support for memory improvement. The Nerve Tonic supp I just started had been very good!! 

Money is very tight, but me and hubby are making it month to month. I wanted to work to improve our finances, frustrating. 

Big hugs!! smile 

• Posted

Hi Joy 

yes i am fab ... thank yoj hope you are too 

started my vit E and restarted my kelp, they came today.. two more 😃😃😃😃

soon my spray magnesium will be here ... squirt squirt..

may help my niggly back pain ( not peri that one ) its my monkey spine thing.. .. had to keep off the trees this week 😃

i am feeling really good at the mo... my little blip last week passed and all is calm in the Jay Jay body and mind ... 

xxxx

• Posted

Can we all share him?? could do with a lovely toy boy to keep any anxiety at bay! Certainly would get a hot flush if I had him by my side!! 

Joy xxcheesygrinlolredface

• Posted

Can make a few pounds a week on survey sites and are several scan your shopping sites that pay a pound a week , could try them.
    • Posted

Hi Joy

his dads here ( not at my house) hahaha he apparently has a house near by, for as and when,  and is doing a stint in Marbella with Tom Jones .. well he was .. a few days ago ..

but we prefer the younger ones dont we... 😃😃

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Karen,

i guess what has really helped me a long with taking the correct vitamins was finding this forum and reading all the ladies experiences and slowly the penny has dropped that all the things I was feeling was similar to other ladies and not some terrible disease! This forum is a godsend for me but if you can purchase some night time magnesium then it will certainly help you to relax and most of all gives me a good nights sleep! 

You will always find comfort from coming on here, it's far better than Face book anyday! Hope you soon feel brighter Karen!! Joy xxx

• Posted

Forget Tom Jones - yeh your right when we are feeling crap then a lovely young man who is most definitely easy on the eye and the added bonus is that he has a lovely voice too! lolwink
    • Posted

hi joy

dont know if you ever watched two and a half men ,,

Enrique was in that as a window cleaner / Handy man on one of them, oh it was funny..

the cleaner Berta  was getting  all hot and sticky ..

jay xx

• Posted

Hi snatchpiece, I am glad you find reiki a help and calming, I have been a reiki practioner for 8 years (not something that I like to admit to these days, after the year that I have had) and my hubby is a reiki master, so I have reiki on tap. Reiki has definitely helped to calm and relax me when I have been a mess and helped to get me focused again.  Enjoy your treatments...Take care Jo xx
    • Posted

I found a lovely lady last year who also is a reiki master and to be honest was the one who sat me down and listened to me with all of my health worries, After she did the reiki on me she came back into the room and talked some more and she was the one who has helped balance me out and during our conversation she said that you do not have any terminal illness and are in good health other than going through the menopause which is only a transition. 

She owns a beauty therapy company and she is so wonderful to me and has helped me to put things into perspective and not always try and worry about things. Joy xx

• Posted

Hi Joy, I am so glad that reiki has been able to help you, my hubby giving me reiki has been the biggest he
    • Posted

Oops I will learn one day not to use the lappy to reply...so should be - reiki has been my biggest help and of course this forum.  You are lucky that you found this lady and she listened to you and was able to help you through your health worries.  Sometimes thats all it takes, someone to listen and work with us and put things into perspective when we are at a loss to do so and most GPs just dont bother.  I wish you all the best and try not too worry too much...Jo xx
    • Posted

Hi Jo,

I have really lucky most of my life to have been really healthy and I guess when you are tuned into your own body you know when something feels different.  Sadly I had convinced myself that it must be something serious and even terminal!! Thankfully Maria was wonderful to me because she didn't make me feel that I was loosing it unlike a friend of mine who said to me that she should have a melt down like me!! Not very funny as she has known me a very long time and knows that not once have I ever suffered with such worries!!

It took a lot of reserching to find out on another site saying that anxiety and doom and gloom is a very common sympton of the peri menopause. This only ever happened when my periods were missed or very late. The remainder of the time I was my normal bubbly self!

Reiki has certainly helped me to put things into perspective with the help of the Maria. Anytime I am worried about a niggle or feel out of source I just make another appointment and I know that I can always rely on her support.

Your lucky you have this wonderful treatment on tap as and when you need it which is great!

What do you suffer with in peri and how long have you been going through it?

What types of things do you do to keep on track?

Hopefully speak soon. Joy xx

• Posted

Hi Joy,

Like you I have been lucky most of my life and been really healthy and like you when this hit bad nearly a year ago after a few weeks I had convinced myself that I had something terminal and that something changed every time a new part of me got hit with a symptom and the anxiety and stress I bought on myself was scary.  Sometimes people say things without realising how we may be affected by their words and I guess people I know have probably thought the same about me as for 10 months I wasnt a easy person to be around, lol I didnt even want to be around me.  I knew nothing about peri until late last year just thought we got hot flushes, no period than wham bam its done, silly silly me.  Like you I started researching why I felt the doom and gloom and anxiety and so on, unfortunately even though I read it all, I still believed I had something terminal and its only been about the last 2 months that I have been able to dismiss that line of thought, though I havent had a period or spotting now for 2 months and I find that I am getting a tiny weeny bit anxious again about my health as some of the older symptoms are starting again.

My last normal period was Sept last year, Feb, May, and July this year just had a few days of brown spotting and about 1 smear of blood (sorry if it is too much info, lol).

I turned 53 a few months ago and have been going through peri probably for 7 years, thats about when my periods changed to every 3 weeks.  5 years ago I experienced my first migrane and a few months after that I experienced my first ever problem with food, a banana.  Over the years till last Oct there were days I didnt feel good or had a few aches and pains, random headaches and  indegstion when ate pastries or cakes but nothing that was so bad I really worried about it.  Then came October last year, I woke up one morning felt like I was on my last legs, couldnt stop crying, everything I ate gave me heartburn/gas and made me feel ill and the anxiety kicked in.  After a few weeks of being like this I knew something was very wrong, I went to a naturopath I know and he found my hormones upside down and I had become intolerant to most food, mainly dairy, wheat, fruit and anything with prservatives. From then on I got sicker and sicker cause I was confused and didnt know what to eat, he gave me a pile of natural meds which also made me sicker cause my tummy couldnt tolerate them.  I was too scared to go to the dr and lost 20 kilos in about 6 months, finally in March I had to go and get bloods done, everyone was so worried about me and my hubby was beside himself, he gave me plenty of reiki but I wouldnt accept it at that time.  Anyway blood work came back and I was as healthy as a ox, except for hormones and high cholersterol and they diagnosed me with ibs and depression (I fought the depression cause I wasnt only scared stiff and anxious).  Didnt really believe the blood tests and still kept thinking I was not long for this world.  Anyway about that time I finally let the reiki in and my hubby and I worked everyday to start balancing me. It has taken about 4 months and I am in a better place now mentally and emotionally and I do handle the symptoms alot better now (I hope that will continue). I got just about all the symptoms, they came and still come in cycles but saying that I dont know how much was hormones or anxiety. I get the heart palps, started with hot flushes, they went to cold flushes now back to hot flushes, aches and pains in joints and bones, sore neck, sore across the top of my back, headaches that will come for 4 days then wont get any for maybe 2 or 3 weeks, pain in chest (but that can be from gas) feeling like I have worms or electricity crawling under my skin, sore teeth gums and jaw, thumping in my ears mainly right, felt pain in the ovary area once or twice, constant weeing, at times it feels like the inside of my throat is swollen (thyroid checked and fine) the weirdest one I had was a cold patch on my forehead when the rest of my forehead seemed normal temp, thats happened about 2 or 3 times. Thats just some that I can remember and as I said they all come in cycles and I can have 2 or 3 days now where I am free of all symptoms then something will pop up.  These I have learnt to deal with my biggest challenge is the ibs, that I have yet to learn to accept but slowly I am trying to intoduce some food again and I hate that for the time being I have lost me and who I used to be.  Lol bet you are sorry you asked me...I cant take anything except probiotics, digestive enzymes and a homeopathic remedy that the nutrionist/homeopath that I am seeing to help with my tummy made up.  I am glad that you have Maria for support and that you trust her and the help that she gives you.  I totally agree that I am lucky to have my hubby and reiki to help me through this transition would be a fruit cake without his help.

So after my long winded story, how long have you been in oeri and what do you do/take besides reiki to help you keep on track...

Wishing you a wonderful night/day and look forward to speaking soon Jo xx

• Posted

Others' have what I call - Mouth in Motiion before brain in gear syndrome
    • Posted

Hi Taz, lol, thats a very polite way of putting it...
    • Posted

Hi Jay, hope you are doing well today, lol flappy traps..have a great day..xx
    • Posted

Hi Jo

i am good thanks, hope you are ..... I am just finishing chores ... 😊

i made a point this morning ( as its always mentioned ) of taking notice of how i function when first get up .. ( i am now meno reached one year) 

well .... I got up and noticed my ankles were abit stiff and my body just felt abit stiff... Bit by the time i had gone down the 5,691 stairs in my house to take the mutts out, hahahahahaha its seems to loosen up and all good..

have a great day... Off to hang the washing out ... ' more stairs ' 😀

( oh no - washing means more ironing 😏) 

jay xx

• Posted

Wow is that all the stairs you have, only 5,691... no wonder you are fit as a fiddle then.  Glad you have loosened up just in time to do the washing and then ironing biggrin...hope you continue to feel good...Jo xx
    • Posted

Hi Joy, sorry to hear all your problems 😢 could you tell me the make of the magnesium spray you use please ?  I have been taking a liquid one by Floradix which I like but it doesn't seem to work as well now ?  I keep getting bad anxiety and it's really getting me down 😢. 

Thank you Debbie x

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your kind words, I think you just find a way of dealing with these changes with or without your friends or family.  I am lucky though as the most important people to me do really care and i always share if I am having a bad time with my husband and son so they know I am not being funny with them.

I buy the night time spray and now use it for both the morning and before bed as it has the relaxing oils in it which helps me during the day when my work which can get stressful. I purchase it from Holland and Barrett and its called Better you, I now also take a long side some tablets chelated magnesium by solgar which I get off amazon. I also take a liquid iron which has also helped. Good luck in your journey and remember hopefully you will always find the answers and support off this forum from ladies who are or have experienced similar may be to you. Massive hugs xxx🌞🌹

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your kind words but I think you learn who you talk too and turn to. I am very lucky though as the people who truly are my rock are both my husband and son who I always share when I am having a bad time so they don't take things personally. 

The spray is Better you which I get from Holland & Barrett and I now use the night time one which has relaxing oils in it and I use after my shower in the morning and again before bed time. This helps me during my busy working day and I also take chelated magnesium tablets which also helps with relaxing and gives you a good nights sleep. I take liquid iron as well.

Good luck with your journey and hope that you will find the things that help you during this time. Massive hugs to you sweetie and have a lovely day.

• Posted

Hi Sweetheat,

Thank you for your reply 😊🙏 is it ok to take tablets and spray at the same time ? I am going to get the spray and give it a go i think.  I have a liquid iron but I think it can give me tummy ache ? Which one do use please ? Sorry for all the questions !

big hug to you

Deb x

• Posted

Hi Deb,

Yes I take one tablet in the morning and one in the evening a long side with the spray. The liquid iron is Vitabiotics Feroglobin B12 and again get this from Holland & Barrett.

I also take a tablet called Menopol Plus (simply supplements) and the Busy B which has the 100mg of B6 which is good to balance out our hormones.

Like you I suffered badly with anxiety (health) and to be very honest my real savour has been having regular accupuncure sessions. My lady treats my heart and kidney (Chinese terms) which is really calming and helps stops the over thinking of our worries. She also helps me with my digestion which get effected when I start over thinking and worrying and also helps with my sinus and sleep problems. 

Dont worry about how many questions you ask as we are all in the same boat one way or the other.

Bigs hugs to you and have a fab day. Joy xx

• Posted

Dear Joy,

Thank you very much your so kind 🙏😊 I have that iron supplement, so will continue with it.

I think I need to find a liquid b6 and b12 as I prefer them to tablets ? Not sure if one is available, will have to Google that.  The Anxiety is killing me, it comes out of nowhere ! Then I get more upset because I thought the Magnesium had got in under control 😢.  I have Diazepam from the Doctors for very occassional use, they do work wonderfully i just wish I could find a natural product that worked as well.

You have been so kind and I really appreciate your replies, have a lovely day sweetheart hugs Deb x

• Posted

Hi Deb,

I use Jarrows B12 5000mcg (from amazon) and those you just pop in your mouth and will disolve under your tongue. The B6 you can buy those from Holland & Barrett on their own (100mg) and these tablets are quite small and easy to take where as the Busy B's which have B6 and many more are quite large.

See if you can find a good acupunturist  then give that a go as a few weeks ago I had a couple of funny days where I was tearful and had my worrying head on about my health (nothing as bad as before) and Laura came out and put some pins in to my head (which is to stop your worrying and anxiety) - (it doesnt hurt at all and is very calming) and later on that day I soon stopped worrying and my mood soon lifted and had a great nights sleep aswelllol. It truly is the one thing that helps me through these odd times.

Joy

xxx

• Posted

Hi joy

Hope your well, the B12 you refer to is the best and the one i always recommend, 

I was told by the moderator on here not to mention the brand of  the b12 you put, so it may get removed by him.

Infact i was told not to put useful info on different discussions ie copy it over so ladies will have to find and trudge throu the older discussions 

Regards to you all hope your all well, i am fine post meno, quite amazed actually

My vits and supps i take are great i have found my perfect ones that suit 😃

Big hugs jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay,

So glad that you are doing well and remaining calm and anxiety free, long may it continue for you.  I did read somewhere that peri is worst then the actual menopause so lets hope that is true so that there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

Its a shame that the things we write to pass on as our experiences or just good old plain advice should get removed from the forum. (I guess they have their rules).

I am well thanks, I was feeling a little out of source a few weeks ago whilst I guess my body was getting used to now using the patches instead of the tablets. When I checked back on when I had some bleeds they had been out of sinc which is where my anxiety steps up.  This month finally had the bleed at the correct time so my fingers are cross that things will get more stable for me.  My tummy play ups when my anxiety starts and it almost becomes a visious circle as when you try not to focus on bad things you get your tummy in knots.  He ho I guess it will one day settle down.

When you say about copy and paste you are only trying to be helpful to others as you know when you wrote these things.

Its all about trial and error to find the things which help isnt it . I have friends who dont take anything and look at me strangly when I tell them what I take but for me taking them has helped.  Its funny when I felt funny a few weeks ago I did up my B6 to 200mg to help balance the hormones out and I think it did help. I normally just take the 100mg but felt I needed some help with the balancing.

The one thing I wish I could get rid of this health anxiety as when something different happens I cant help but think its something nasty happening - did you ever get thoughts like that and if so how did you train yourself to stop thinking this way?

Massive hugs to you Jay!

Is you man and children coming home for Christmas? I do hope so!!

xx

• Posted

Hi Joy 

All the ten year peri i had was a long road, but varied through out, anxiety hit only in the final year of no periods, i am 16 months post meno now, all is good .. All done, learned to adapt to the low levels of  post meno hormones and use some ovestin estriol ovules vaginally for dryness just occassionly dont need them often. So all good. 

haha copy and paste yes. very handy when posting useful info i use to find when researching,  still research have done now for 12 years, but wont be sharing now, as an ex nurse its something i always do, research keep up to date etc, share concerns and awareness, people find their own way and choices all personal choice, doesnt hurt to make people aware either way.

had a heavy rain spell here and tornado yesterday caused some damage near by, abit calmer today thank goodness. 

take care Joy 

Jay x

• Posted

Forgot to say Joy

I always take 150mg B6 daily, my tabs are from farmacia here and actually 300mg, so i split them and have 150mg have done since last April, seems to suit me .. 

Certainly sorted my anxiety out 

Jay xx

• Posted

Joy 

Yes i went through the doom thoughts, of anxiety, feelings of dread .. Beginning of this year, hence B6, Just rethought things abit and had a word with myself. 

Sake of having to, my stress levels were tested to the hilt this summer too, selling the house which took 4 months and currently in process of buying another etc, 

Not easy here like UK .. 

5 moves in 2.5 years different countries, moving everything in 96m3 lorry and got through it like a trooper, one more to go in next four weeks, so i have to remain strong and positive. 😀no more moves then. 

Always busy 😃  live life to the full

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay I've been taking the 12 ,I know the 6 B's don't agree with me as you know ,but I'm sat thinking blow it ,Got them out again ,will keep on them ,see if anxiety will drop down ,Sad reading all these stories back through past months .my anxiety always been higher for several days in any given month ,my aunt in her 80's say she gets the feeling to not being good every month ,talking to her last week .So 6 's it is . Glad your around ,where you moving to Jay ?  What a mess this meno places women in .  xxx 
    • Posted

Hi Marlene 

oh thats not good still having anxiety 😕 i relate to it being worse at certain times though, use to hit me every approx six weeks for a few days, all seems okay at the moment.

Hahaha yes this will be the 6 th one, good job i dont panic, packing always down to just me, mind you had plenty of practice..

only moving down road ,,, dont know exactly when, as nothing is straight forward here, hoping 23 Dec.. ' i know xmas' tree up, tree down, tree up again 🎁🎄🎁🎄🎁🎄🎄

😊

off to get some shopping in this miserable weather here now, groceries..

had some freaky weather last two says, flooded roads, tornado not far away.

better get my groceries before next lot starts hitting the area ..

take care marlene

jay x

• Posted

Hi all,

As discussed with a couple of users via Private Message I have created a new discussion here

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/menopause-resources-313839. This is a pinned discussion which means it will always appear at the top of the list on the menopause discussion group page. 

The issue with mentioning brand names and repeated posting is not posting the info but as per the T&Cs multiple posting in lots of discussions. This information can be posted in the discussion above and if users wish to guide users to it you can post the link above in any discussion and it will not go for moderation. This saves copying/pasting or retyping the same thing.

If any user has any questions or suggestions for other links, ie to other useful discussions or useful websites, then please let me know via PM rather than posting in discussions. If a website is useful to users and not a commercial or otherwise inappropriate site I can add them to the discussion above.

Regards,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.