Not diagnosed with Ménière's

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I have been having very bad bouts of vertigo and nausea and am now in week 9. I have not been diagnosed with Ménière's Disease but my Dr said it sounds likely and it would be very unfortunate! I had a brain CT scan two weeks ago and am still waiting for results from that.. as my doctor said 'to rule out anything more sinister'... I had a terrible attack last night and am feeling weak and below par today though still at work. It is really starting to weigh heavily upon me now that this could be a life long illness. Like you I cut out caffeine, alcohol and salt and am still very strict with my diet. I find I am thirsty all the time. The past two weeks I have annoying buzzing in my ears that is probably tinnitus.. How are you feeling now? Some days I sleep so badly and am awake from five am every morning. I just want some answers and soon. Am waiting for an ENT appointment.. as I live in N Ireland my Dr said it could take awhile.. I live and wait..... Any thoughts?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If it is MD, there are good treatments available.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

So sorry you are joining our club of sufferer's but I must say so far I seem to have mine under control.

Like you my symptoms went on for months then out of desperation I discovered this site. I am taking Bethastimine 32mg 3 times a day but also take water tablets and combined I feel I have mastered my cure.

My GP thinks my water pressure is due to hormones but I don't.

Good luck and I am sure many more people will help you with advice on this page. Vx

• Posted

Vicky - those are the medications I am taking as well.  I went off them for 3 months and felt really good and only had small dizzy spells.  This week I got a wopper and went back on the meds.  I was diagnosed while training for the Chicago Marathon 3 years ago.  My hearing in my right ear is about 70% gone.  My episodes are so friggin random I just don't know what triggers them.  I try to watch what I eat and I exercise, but after I have an episode I am just exhausted and spend the next 10 hours sleeping.  I just want to curl up in a hole and be safe.  So scary.  I just joined this group.  I don't know anything about these steriod shots, but don't think at this point I cold be a candidate. 

• Posted

Thanks for responding. I think the hardest thing is coping with something that you are suffering from, when you look ok on the outside. I am trying to stay positive and take things one day at a time. Today I am exhausted and the humming/buzzing in my ears is particularly loud and annoying. Hopefully I will get good results soon and all will be well.
    • Posted

It is !!! You feel a phony but suffer inwardly. I can remember being so depressed as there is no cure and you never know when an attack is going to occur.

I must say mine has got a lot better these last few weeks and I'm beginning to feel normal again.

Don't despair it will settle down. Vx

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes you are so right, it's hard to remain normal when you feel so ghastly! I hope you are well soon! I am so glad I found this forum as I find is so enlightening and informative. Plus I don't feel so alone with these horrid symptoms, knowing that others are going through this also gives me strength to take each day as it comes. S.

• Posted

Getting the correct diagnosis is important so keep checking for CT result.  Mention your thirst problem to your GP as this is possibly caused by something else (very unlikely to be MD) and While you wait for consultant appointment ask your Dr to prescribe Betahistine tablets. They will take 4 weeks or more to work but are very safe and designed to reduce fluid pressure in the inner ear as well dampening down tinnitus and with luck reversing any hearing damage. Carry anti nausea tablets with you so that you can damp down any nausea/vertigo attacks quickly.

Try to stay positive - 70% of sufferers recover and either never have another attack or enjoy long remission periods.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for all your words of wisdom. Yes I was taking serc 16 (16mg three times a day) which is Betahistine but was taken off them as I was so ill and couldn't move off the sofa for two weeks. I had fluid in my ears also so was taking pseudoephedrine three times a day. Might have been the pseudoephedrine that made me so ill. I will ask my dr asap. At present I am taking buccastem buccal tablets, 1 melted in upper lip twice a day. I still am very dizzy but nausea isn't so bad.

I have learned the hard way not to put head back or ly flat on my back, or bend over suddenly or turn my head too quickly as these movements leave me ill and exhausted for hours and sometimes two days afterwards. I still have very sore headaches mainly at the back of my head but sometimes around my temples. My ears are both very bunged up but no fluid present at the momemt. Though I have humming/buzzing in my ears that is driving me nuts esp when the house is quiet. The thirst I think is coming from the meltnin the mouth tablets which are woeful but work.

• Posted

I was started on the same dose of betahistine as you (the max recommended in the British National Formulary!!) and had 2 or 3 bad attacks before things calmed down. When I got to the consultant, once the diagnosis was confirmed, my dose was tripled to 48mg tds and stayed on that until 6 months had passed without an attack. I then weaned off gradually and had a total of 21 months remission. Currently following a threatened relapse I am taking 64mg tds and hoping to come off it again in a couple of months.

I am assuming each acute attack lasts less than 24 hours. Current medical 'wisdom' is that if longer then not Meneire's! Another possibility is BPPV.

The trouble with Buccastem (and Stemetil) is that it is prochlorperazine, an antipsychotic drug which is very sedative and will keep you feeling tired and sleepy. I would try to only use it when you feel an attack threatening. Meanwhile try to get back on Serc which is very safe with very few side effects but will need time to work..

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks this is very helpful. Yes, an attack generally last anywhere from 10 mins to 20 sometimes longer and sometimes shorter. The effects of the attack are what last a day or two. Extreme fatigue where I actually have to ly propped up and sleep immediately for a couple of hours sometimes longer. I wake feeling weak, wobbly and sick. It's hard to function and even little chores like laundry seem to feel like huge feats to complete. I have the cold at the minute and feel more horrid than usual. I have made another Dr app for 21st Dec as that was the closest app I could get. I will ask about going back on serc 16 again as I am worried about the noise in my ears and possible tinnitus. When I have an attack I feel my ears are more bunged up and my hearing in both ears isn't as good. I am 39 so am a bit worried about my hearing and long term effects. I also find a lot of noise irritating and hard to handle as my ears seem so sentisive. I have started wearing warm hats whilst outside as I feel less sensitive. The last time I got my ears checked they were free from fluid and healthy looking so at least I don't have an infection.

• Posted

Thank you NeddyO! On Saturday I started back on Serc 16 again. I was a tad dubious about stopping one medicine for another but thought since I was off work I would give it a go. I took three tablets on Saturday and Sunday and so far things look positive. I am still very careful about the way I move and am dizzy when I ly back in bed, but the tiredness has definitely gotten a whole lot better. I could live with this! Fingers crossed things will stay this positive!
    • Posted

Oh don't they just leave you so exhausted.  My body just fights fights and fights these spells and I feel so sick.

• Posted

Your post gives me hope, where did you find out that 70% of sufferers recover? I've only read this desease gets worse and there is no cure?

• Posted

From my Consultant Auralphysiologist. I dont think he was implying complete recovery. Hearing loss and tinnitus may be reduced by betahistine for example but not completely reversed. But the major problems of vertigo and sickness can disappear for long periods or never return if you are lucky. The clear message I got was that if symptoms do return get back on high dose betahistine pronto as this gives the best chance of avoiding or limiting any further damage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.