Not drinking alcohol on Citalopram.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im wondering if anyone has ever experienced what I have. I’ve been on citalopram now for six months and I’m currently at 30mg, over the last six months I’ve not had a drop of alcohol as I’ve not wanted to knock my progress, but this weekend I’ve had a few glasses of wine and I’m back to having some morning anxiety. Is this because it’s stopped my Citalopram from working, if it is then I’ll never touch another drop again as I don’t want to go back to how bad I was six months ago.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi gemma, I found my anxiety definitely heightened if I drank when on it, so sometimes I would miss one at but then I'd feel sick. I think that alcohol depletes the affects of anti depressants/anxiety pills x

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Gemma when I was on Citalopram I could drink but it may be different for other people. I’m on Venlafaxine and have learned I cannot drink on these. It took me weeks to feel better x
    Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Gemma, I have been on cits a couple of years & found that going out & socializing helps the road to recovery, you don't have to get blind drunk,as with the meds,it's all about experimenting & seeing whats best for yourself, It's very easy to take someones advice on here, but the effects of the meds from one person to another could be a million miles apart . Good luck with your decisions.

Report Reply
  • Posted

What you have to remember is that alcohol, despite giving you a lift at the time, is a depressant, and so it will worsen your mood the next day if you are still in recovery. So it's not so much that it stops the cit from working, more that it depletes your bass line mood anyway and so you won't notice as much of a lift from the cit, if you get me.

When I'm on cit I tend not to drink until I feel the depression/anxiety is in remission ie I'm really not noticing it any more. If I do drink before then, I def get the wobbles a couple days later.

You'll be okay. Just stick to a glass or two until you feel like you can't call yourself depressed or anx any more.

Xxx

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thank you so much to everyone for the advice. I feel like I have come so far from where I was six months ago and I’m having may more better days now. I only had four glasses of wine and I was looking forward to letting my hair down and just going out and been me for a few hours. But I know I still have to remind myself that I’m not fully recovered yet and I will still wobble a bit. I’m just desperate I suppose to be back to the me with no anxiety anymore and sometimes I wonder f that me will ever come back. I just have to take it slowly I suppose. But I completely understand what everyone is saying and Ruth you’ve made complete sense and I now understand why I do wobble is because I’m just not fully there yet.x
      Report Reply
  • Posted

So glad to read you're a lot better. You're getting closer to forgetting you were ever depressed and anxious in the first place 😊

Report Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Ruth, I'm slowly but surely getting there and i do hope that someday i will forget the terrible anxiety I've had. It feels like I've been in a nightmare, I wouldn't ever want anyone to go through what I have but I know many have and I'm living proof that it will get better.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hey Gemma,

I'm elated your doing great! I'm one month ahead of you. I had a glass of wine last month and it was like i drank a bottle. i notice the wine effects me alot. i do have a glass with dinner I just drink it slow. im back to exercising alot lately which helps with the anxiety big time!

will 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Will, I'm so glad that you're getting there too. I like yoga and it helps me too but lately I've been trying a bit of running where i try to build up my distance gradually using the couch to 5k app but I've been getting palpitations so I think I'll just get it checked out, but yes i also find exercise is good. I'm trying to take better care of myself though too by eating better and making a bit more time for myself.x

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up