Not exercising

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm having a hard time doing my exercises after TKA 13 days ago. My pain control was terrible. It's better now. I'm afraid of the pain I think. I start Physio next week. 

It would be great if there were others out there who have just gone through this. 

Most are one year. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Three thingsyou must do to reduce the pain and increase your mobility.

Elevate your TKR way about your heart so that the fluids can return to your heart.

Ice...I prefer the gel packs from the pharmacy...get four medium rectangle so that two can be in use while the other two are freezing.

Rest...yup, rest...your body is working overtime to heal...rest is hard work...when we are relaxed, our body can use the excess energy to heal faster.

Be kind to yourself

big hugs

• Posted

13 days?  That's it?  You've just barely started...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Pain? Take the meds...period.  This is not a test of pain endurance.  Be prepared for a long, slow recovery, like 6-12 months.  You CANNOT push a knee like you can with a hip or shoulder.  Too much and it swells up like a balloon and sets you back.  There will be advances, setbacks and plateaus...expect all three.  The PT will get you your ROM back...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/zero-degrees--517809

...then you need gym work to rebuild your quads, glutes and core (see the Exercise Section in the first link).  These are the heel slide exercises tips...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-heel-slide-exercises-526213

Hope that one helps.  Take your meds, stay strong, eat healthy, lose weight, HYDRATE a lot, do your PT and gym work, kick depression's a$$, sleep as much as you want to, don't compare your recovery to anyone else's...

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Hi Susan, I had my tkr aug 8 . They said I got off to a slow start I had so much swelling and pain. I'm still off work and have been going to PT since day one. The pain will get better so they say. Lol . I have came along way since aug . It's a very slow process . Don't give up and do your pt exercises. The pain will get better and take your pain pills.

• Posted

hi susan33594 yes you are at the crossroads so to speak and it is such a big one at that,but since 13 days ago you had the guts to do it and that shows me you will have the guts to carry it through, i am 3 weeks p,o on 2nd one and swore never again but if you cannot sit still for 5 min how will i be able to just sit and do or be nothing and the most wonderful thing thing is i have only2 knees now 2 new knees please di not hurt yourself or let the physio hurt you drink all the meds you need ice and elevate and tkr or tka the invasion on your body is the same, a massive intrusion wich you have never experianced before, so again at your own pace the physo thing i am 3 weeks p.o and have rom fully back leg straight and take 

solo walks in the house till it starts to tell me whoah now all the best to you and vissit us more like i also should regards danie61

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.