Not Getting Better

Posted , 2 users are following.

Background: 19 yo, Male, 5'7", 118 lbs, Black

Medical History: allergy to dairy/milk proteins

Medications: 40 mg nexium daily for 4 months, gabapentin 300mg daily for two month, fluticasone 2 puffs twice a day for two months

For about 5 months, I've dealt with difficulty swallowing, stomach pain, and chest pain. It was not until two months ago that I diagnosed with EOE and possible GERD. Despite the diagnosis, my endoscopy did not show enough eosinophils per high power field for a diagnosis off the biopsy. I was diagnosed more based on the symptoms I was having, and the changes in my esophagus which were very typical for EOE patients (mucosal changes, white specks, furrows). They also saw a 2cm hiatal hernia, and mild gastritis. Since then I have added fluticasone to my medications, along with the nexium I had been taking for a few months, and gabapentin for my stomach pain. In the past few weeks I have also cut out the top 6 food allergens. Despite this, I am not seeing any improvement in my condition. I am also losing weight pretty rapidly since I am not eating much solid foods. My doctors are not that helpful at the moment, telling me I have to wait until my next endoscopy for them to move forward. Does this forum have any ideas on how I can get better?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

What is EOE?  Stick to bland foods and avoid anything rich, spicy or fatty.  See a different doctor and wait for your next endoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.