Not having much fun!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys

I know there's hundreds of posts like this on here but I think it's good to share stories and to talk to one another....

I was put on 20mg cit nearly 3 weeks ago and had it reduced to 10mg a few days ago as it was making my anxiety worse.

To start with I just felt tired (probably because I'm hardly sleeping!) and nauseous but I feel as if I'm getting worse rather than better - I'm so fatigued most of the time, feel spaced out, vomiting most mornings and am now getting headaches all down the sides of my head and into my neck! I feel no less anxious either.

I thought side effects would be improving by now. Really am fed up of feeling this way... 

Anyone felt worse before they felt better? Any help greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Most defiantly.Its very common to feel worse before you feel better when starting medication..In fact very few people get a easy ride or feel better early in treatment. Some people start to feel better within a few weeks while others it takes longer. 

It's not easy and very frustrating and scary when you are taking something that's meant to make you feel better and it making you feel worse.

The side effects should ease soon and you may start to notice little differences in your mood and how you cope. Believe it or not,you have done the hard part.Getting over them first few weeks while the medication gets in your system is often too much for some. 

Just hang in there. It can seem never ending but it does get better. We are here for us if you need us xx

• Posted

Thank you x 

Sometimes kind words from somebody who knows what you're going through and won't judge is a massive help - I really appreciate it x 

• Posted

Hi Gillian just wanted to say how much reading your post helps.  I am on day 9 of 10 mg cit for nighttime anxiety attack after bankruptcy and my husband leaving me with our 8 year old twins.  My nighttime anxiety is now 24-7, I feel sick, shaky, and hot all the time, my stomach is in constant knots, not easy with two children to care for.  My GP assures me its just the side effects of the cit getting into my system and it will improve but I feel like I'm going mad!!!!
    • Posted

Oh Tids20..I know exactly what you are describing. So many people will tell you how much Citalopram has help them....Luckily for them,they are past all the hard beginning bit and are feeling more secure. People get to a certain point in recovery and don't feel the need for the forum anymore which is a great shame because they are the people with the success stories that help people to carry on in hope that they too will get better.

I promise you now that things will get better. It will just be gradual changes but they all add up. I'm still not 100% and was in a very bad place. When I look back to when this started,I had all the fears you guys do. I felt that my mind couldn't be pushed the slightest bit more,I also felt I was going mad.

I have bad days,very bad days but they come with more clarity than before. My thinking is not a million miles an hour and I can rationalise better. My focus and concentration is coming back,,,not all the time but more than it was.So even on days that I feel horrendous,putting all these little pieces together tells me of my improvements.....We are all gonna get through this together.....Keep telling yourself over and over that you can do this because you can xx

• Posted

Yes I agree, it's very hard at the beginning taking these and I suspect when you were in 20mg it was again your body getting used to the doseage, which would have eased off eventually.  Increased anxiety is a common problem in the beginning of any doseage being upped.

A doctor once told me that taking the medication in the morning is better for you if you're having difficulty sleeping at night.  I take mine in the mornings and don't have any sleep problems.

All your side effects will ease off eventually - we all seem to go through this journey, some a little worse than others.  Keep on plodding through and you'll come through it eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.