Not looking forward to EMG...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello All,

My surgeon is sending me for an EMG this afternoon.  This test will  find the answer if I have nerve damage to my quads, from my TKR, that's why I'm having such difficulties. I of course read up about the test and I'm not looking forward to it.  Anyone else have one?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi there again

ive had 3 EMGs and am awaiting another one....dont worry too much, they arent especially nice but a bit like the old slendertones, and arent as bad as you think. ...we have spoken before...as i cant activate my quad atll, op was 2 years ago !!!!

• Posted

Yes, I do remember we have talked before about our inactive quads.

I never realised how much we use and need our quads until mine

haven't been working properly. 

Good luck with your test, hope we get the answers to correct our problems.    PattyLee 

• Posted

Hi Kitty I had knee Arthroscopy cartlidge trim (meniscus)  in 2008.

I had no SLR knee giving way and Gross wasting of Quads muscles and CRPS after op. No investigations were carried out for 7 months just physiotherapy carried out which most of it was unable to carry out.

eventualy had a knee scan then 2 more months of physio then discharged from hospital after being advised nothing further could be done, go seek a second opinion from another Trust.

I did that had a another op on my quads tendon which had become stretched,Finaly had EMG an NCS 18 months after first surgery which revealed Femoral Nerve  damage.

Here I am 2016 still the same all kinds of pain meds a leg brace and crutches.

Would love to hear from you what was the outcome of your own journey and hope you are doing better than myself.

good luck .

Stevi57

• Posted

hi there

your situation sounds similar to mine!!!

i too have a big leg brace and crutches......constantly seeing physio etc...my consultant referred me to walton neuromuscular centre and the chap there reckons its definately femoral nerve damage. noone seems to know what to do...my quads are atrophied ...cant do a straight leg raise...and knee gives way!!1i have been given an electrical pad machine to use at home...but even that wont contract my quad !!! its a nightmare....and as i had the op 3 years ago it seems unlikely that anything will now improve!!!

so....i think my journey is pretty similar to yours !!!!

kind regards

helen

• Posted

Hi Helen

Did you have emg and ncs and what was the results of them if you did.

Have you ever got to the source of what caused the injury to your quads did the hospital ever admit to a cause ?.Which Hospital was you under?.

Regards.

Steve

• Posted

hi steve

have had about 4 lots of emgs and ncs over the last few years and they all say theres no activity in right quad, and evidence of denervation.

noone seems to know how any of this has happened...one consultant suggested the tourniquet....but of course that was poo pooed by another. they dont know how this has happened!!! before the op i was very active, played squash regularly and worked for the airlines..so this is a nightmare!!!. i had the op at southlands hospital in west sussex. im now in north  wales though, so seeing different consultants etc!!! where did you have your op?

kind regards

helen

• Posted

oh i know,...tell me about it!!! i cant even go up stairs properly...my quad is in complete atrophy and they cant seem to figureout why !!! i lost my job as cabin crew as its so much bending etc....all a nightmare!!! good luck with your test...would be intereseted to hear how they went.

one of my consultants turned around and said that sometimes those tests arent that reliable !!! getting so fed up with the nhs and differing inconsistent opinions !!!!

take care today and let me know how you get on

am so interested as i thought i was the only one with this problem x

• Posted

Yes, I've had several . .arms, leg, even on my head!  Not that bad at all . .just a bit of needle . .not sharp . . Hope our problem finally resolves. . . 
    • Posted

Had the EMG, you and kittylamb where right, not that bad at all!  And of course the doctor wouldn't tell me anything, he'll send his report to my surgeon. Have to wait another 2 weeks to see him, hopefully there's no nerve damage...keeping my fingers crossed!
    • Posted

Good!  The doc who did mine did tell me there was a problem . .I'd had so many other tests all of which showed nothing, that I was beginning to feel like a fraud. . and I said 'I almost hope there IS something wrong. . . ' and he said, well, yes, there is!!!  But in fact, although apparently the sciatic nerve is damaged, it doesn't cause me any problems now.  Not related to the op though . . it was a couple of years ago . . 
  • Posted

Hi PattyLee

How did it go? Good luck with everything. We all seem to have such varying results. I'm struggling with the restricted movement in my left TKR which is almost a month old. I have almost 90 degrees immediately post physio massage but then struggle through the week on my own. Loads of pain on flexation, but struggling along. Good luck everyone!

• Posted

lorene, I was expecting the worst with the EMG but it was not bad at all.

You're right about everyone having varied results, I had my TKR 4 months ago, and despite my quads not working properly I'm doing good.

Keep up with your exercises and good luck to us all!

• Posted

No I have not had this What is EMG? But I have had TKR.

Let me know how got on

Sarah

• Posted

AN EMG IS JUST A TEST TO SEE IF THE NERVE IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. THEY DO IT ON YOUR WRIST, TO TEST FOR CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME. OR ON YOUR LEG TO CHECK THE NERVES WHICH CAN BE AFFECTED THERE . . SCIATIC,  etc. whoops, sorry about the capitals. they attach you to a monitor, then little blunt needles are used (doesn't draw blood. . not really inserted') and the noise the machine makes seems to mean something to the man doing the test!  It's not really unpleasant. . . 

• Posted

Sarah, EMG, short for Electromyography, my test was done on my leg and lower back. You're hooked up to a machine that sends electrical impulses to muscles/nerves and also intramuscular where needles are inserted into the muscles.  It's used to diagnost the health or abnormal  muscles and nerves.  As martinarvelo said, it's not that bad.  Hopefully the test will fine the issues I'm having with my quads.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.