Not sleeping- Anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I want to start out by saying that I've never had anxiety problems before. I have recently begun to have some anxiety problems. I was getting headaches and head pressure really bad, along with a foggy head. I couldn't concentrate, everything felt weird, I didn't feel like myself, it was really scaring me. I had my first panic attack at work. I was terrified and mhad no idea what was going on. I originally thought it was my blood sugar dropping. My sister rushed me the ER and they told me it was just anxiety. At the time, all four of my wisdom teeth were impacted. I got them removed thinking that was the issue. Things got a little better, but not much. I woke up from the surgery in a panic attack. After that, I kept waking up panicking at night. Luckily that has gotten a little better. I went to the doctor to see if they could figure out why my head was foggy and causing me so much distress. My blood work and everything came back normal. My doctor prescribed me Celexa. I tired taking it but everything got worse. I also have to mention that I don't sleep well, especially now. I constantly wake up in the middle of the night. When I do sleep, I wake up in the morning not feeling rested at all. Recently, I've become almost afraid of sleep. Every time I lay down, my heart starts beating fast, and I can't sleep. I might get a couple hours a night, but that's it. I am tired constantly. I can't tell if I'm not sleeping because of anxiety, or I have anxiety because I'm not sleeping. Before this whole thing started, I remember telling my fiancé that I wasn't getting enough sleep. Basically now I'm frustrated, exhausted, scared, and have no idea what to do. I've never had anxiety problems before this. My sister keeps telling me that it's all just anxiety and to take the Celexa. But I had the foggy head feeling before any anxiety symptoms showed up. Does anyone have any ideas as to help me?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

EDIT:

The foggy head feeling is really hard to describe. Everything feels muffled and weird. I don't want to say dream like, because that's not it. I feel cognitively slow, like I'm not all there. Is this sleep deprivation? I used to love sleep. I would sleep well without any help or medication and take naps. I have tried melatonin and benedryl so far, with no help.

When my heart beats fast at night and I don't sleep, My heart continues to beat fast into the next day. It's really distressing. I feel like I'm going crazy. I just want my head back. I don't think anxiety is the cause, I think it's a symptom of all of this, because like I said, the foggy feeling came first.

• Posted

Try taking B Vitamins and Magnesium. Both of these help relieve anxiety and stress. I've been doing it for a while now and I'm thoroughly impressed with the results. Also, take some time for yourself and take slow breaths. Go outside and just lay somewhere in the sun. These things could help you feel closer to reality. Listen to some soft music and let the melody take you. smile Sometimes, it's all about putting yourself first.

• Posted

Stephanie it is possible that you may have an overactive thyroid problem. If you ask your dr to check your blood for thyroid hormones and antibodies then that at leastmay reule out this distressing condition.

Anaemia can also cause you signs symptoms. Before taking any supplements you really need blood screening in order toobtain accurate blood results.

• Posted

I've had blood work done, everything, including thyroid came back normal.

• Posted

No. I haven't tried any major sleep meds yet. I've been trying the natural stuff first. As far as the anxiety, I was prescribed Celexa, I took it for 3 days and felt worse, so I quit again.

• Posted

Nah. I'm supposed to see my GP but I never went. I'm gonna try to make an appointment sometime this week.

• Posted

Go to docs and make sure you are ok physically,  anxieiy causes so many weird feelings, and they are frightening - keep saying - I have nothing to worry about, distract yourself with a hobby, go to zumba or gym, look at funny videos, do deep breathing and try and convince your mind that all is ok, the power of positive thinking is good, go on to google for things to do for anxiety and realise that many wonderful and famous people have suffered from this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.