Not sure how much to go back up on pred.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had managed to reduce to 15mg. from the inicial 20mg. although not in the best of circumstances.After about a week on 15mg, I started to get some "niggles" but it was hard to tell as I am also unable to do any activity due to a broken pelvis.I went back up to 16 yesterday, but today I feel like im in a full fledged flare.

I am flying home next week on a 12 hour flight and the way feel now, even with airport assistance, I wouldn't be able to "make it".How much should I go up? And once Im back home and over the jet lag, how do I start tapering again? From square 1 , 1mg a month?

I realize this is a process and not many PMRers have a completely smooth journey but it's still quite disappointing when you have to go back up . I had programmed reminders on my phone and today it reminded me to drop to 12mg...Hahaha...

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

mimi,

I do not believe the proper dosage of prednisone is a known thing. Each patient has different experiences. My experience is when you take the proper dose your symptoms go away. If you are taking too little you will have symptoms. It is a trial and error thing but your body will tell you.

• Posted

Thank you Daniel, Im confused because I felt fine at 16m so I went down to 15 when I got the flare.i went back up to 16 but the symptoms this time around at that dose don't seem to be diminishing.

Iis it better to go up milligram by milligram or go up more? And if you go up Saturday 5mg. for special circumstances, should you taper down gradually or go directly to the dose you felt good at last?

• Posted

You can increase the dose for just a few days as much as you want and go back to where you were. Once the inflammation has built up the dose you were possibly fine at isn't enough to clear out the excess (so to speak). When do you fly? 

• Posted

Then I would go back to 20mg until you get home. As of tomorrow if you don't want to today.

• Posted

I should know all this by now, Eileen, but when I come across a glitch myself, I find that all my knowledge goes out the window!
    • Posted

It is hard to be objective about yourself - especially when it means doing something you feel makes you a failure. You aren't - but when you get home you need some really good care. And lots of rest at last.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I do have an appointment with a new rheumi when I get back and I will go to the appointment with a lot more confidence armed with all the information I got on here. I feel like I don't even need a rheumi 😇 but I do need to get the periodic blood tests ,etc..My husband retired from his practice last month .

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you are in pain. I guess the broken pelvis isn't helping though. I try to manage, and as long as I get a decent sleep with perhaps aspirin and paracetamol.......and take longer to reduce down.

good luck !!

• Posted

Thank you, Jean. Yes, I was certainly underestimating the power of PMR, thinking I had it under control ..The pain from the fractures has certainly set me back in the management of my PMR, but I did learn an important lesson: not to let anyone from scaring me into tapering quicker than I can. It seems lots of docs blame prednisone for every symptom and comorbidity we have! There are diseases out there that require life long use of steroids so I really don't understand.

• Posted

There is a fundamental truth about this journey: WE cannot control the PMR. But IT doesn't have to control US - we have to accept it is there and accommodate it but that is not giving in.

• Posted

So Eileen, are you saying you can never be cured ?
    • Posted

No, there is no cure, as there is not yet a cure as such for any autoimmune disorder I can think of. Even if it burns out, the potential for it to return is always there. 

In 75% of patients PMR goes into remission in up to 2 to 6 years or so - but that doesn't mean it can't come back. In a small proportion of patients it may return, and a second episode may bear no resemblance to the first in any way, intensity, time, response to pred. In about 25% of us it doesn't seem to want to burn out at all - but it isn't clear if there are different sorts/causes. They don't know enough about the mechanism of the disease to work that out.

• Posted

But, just to add, there is a whole lot we can do to improve our general health which makes the PMR more bearable, and possibly, hopefully, lessens the pred side effects.  In many ways I'm healthier, both psychologically and physically, than I was before treatment.  And I hope I've changed enough things for the better so that I will never be as ill as I was when PMR first hit.  Thigs I've learned: choose your battles, avoid stress especially when it's something you personally can do nothing about (turn off the news), get enough rest, get outdoors as much as possible, spend time with friends and doing things you enjoy and don't let guilt (I should be doing this or that) get in your way.  Life is short, dust and dishes and laundry, or workplace annoyances, are always there, but time is not on our side.  Seize the day.

• Posted

A far more eloquent summary of something I just said on the other forum - sod housework, it's a waste of the energy you can devote to something enjoyable and probably more profitable!!!!!

• Posted

except the typo ... thigs?  Things!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.