Not sure if I have an std

Posted , 5 users are following.

Unprotected vaginal sex 9 1/2 weeks ago.

I was tested 8 days, 6 weeks and 9 weeks after exposure.

HIV 4th gen and a rapid hiv at 4 weeks after exposure. All negative except HSV1 - IGG 17.6.

I can't ever recall mouth sores or genetically sores. So I don't think I've had an OB.

I paid the man to get tested at 6 weeks also 10 panel and he came back negative for everything including hsv1. He also had the rapid hiv at 4 weeks come back negative.

My questions

1- I swear I've had symptoms like fatigue, loss of appetite, night sweats, sore throat but my doctor said is due to my anxiety.

Can this be the case??

2) is it still possible that I may have HSV2 or HIV???

What would be the odds? Statistically?

3) should I continue to test?

4) how accurate are the stds test in USA???

I believe some were DNA type tests.

I'm soo scared - all I do is google and get more anxious- I need true professional advise. Please

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just Relax. You don't have anything . Hsv1 is common , no need to freak out. Chill ya. 

• Posted

Even though u have hsv1, you haven't got this from ur last attempt. Chances are u have this from ur childhood. So, just Relax and move on

• Posted

Thank u

I'm sure you are right about the hsv1

Just scared about the hiv, since I read it can stay dormant and undetected.

Not sure if it's true thou

• Posted

Hey there, sounds like you're doing a lot of worrying. It's unlikely that if you've both done so many tests that you have contacted HIV. HSV-2 is a different matter and will often require different kinds of testing, so if this is something that you are concerned about then you are best off getting a separate test done for they. Also, if you do have HSV-2 then that's really not the end of the world and it is mostly just an aesthetic issue more than anything.

I would say that STD tests in the US are accurate, and you shouldn't doubt them realistically. You may wish to continue to get tested, but after 10 weeks all appropriate antibodies should really be produced by then, so it's unlikely that time is playing any major factor in your results.

I think your doctor might be right regarding it being anxiety related! Best of luck, happy to talk whenever.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply

Hsv1 doesnt concern me, it's more the hiv and hsv2.

I've been really nieve to std's and now I'm just freaking out.

Any information is a great help.

• Posted

If you've had a negative HIV test at 9 weeks in USA where they use 4th gen then I would say you're very unlikely to have it. Most medical professionals would advise to test at 3 months for a definitive answer so go get a rapid one in 3 weeks or so

If you're worried but sounds like you're dandy smile 

• Posted

Thank you

I will be getting g tested for both hiv and hsv2 in 3-4 weeks.

Praying it's all negative

• Posted

Dear Amy,

Please calm down. 

YOU ARE NEGATIVE. 

Here is the answers of your questions.

1) I swear I've had symptoms like fatigue, loss of appetite, night sweats, sore throat but my doctor said is due to my anxiety.

Yes, anxiety could cause a lot of body reaction such as fatigue, no appetite, a lot of "HIV symptoms" could caused by your bad mood.

2) is it still possible that I may have HSV2 or HIV???

There is nothing you need to worried about HIV.  A 4th generation HIV test is considered as conclusive. 

What would be the odds? Statistically?

the odds only happened with someone who have immunity delay problem, if you are not get drunk after a glass of wine, then you should not have any immunity problem. 

3) should I continue to test?

NONONONONONONONONO

How many test you want?  if you already did a screen test after 28 days, all of the result should be conclusive. 

4) how accurate are the stds test in USA???

It depends on different test methods, but i trust in USA, the test way should be the same as in the UK. 

So, it is very accurate.

I believe some were DNA type tests.

PCR test for HIV is not recommend for a screen test. It is always used in checking virus loads which i do not think you will need it.

I'm soo scared - all I do is google and get more anxious- I need true professional advise. Please

Please STOP googling form Dr. Google. it is very bad for your anxious.

Go to see a therapist and talk about your concerns.

But please remember,

YOU ARE HIV NEGATIVE.  

Best, 

Hugo

• Posted

I agree with Hugo and he offers good advice.

HSV1 is common (oral herpes). I believe close to 70% of people under 50 have it. You may never have blisters or even known that you had it as your body has suppressed the virus. Literally, your grandma could have kissed you as a kid and transmitted the virus. 

A gen IV hiv test is highly accurate at 4 weeks. Many doctors consider 6 weeks to be conclusive. The 4th gen test tests for the p24 antigen (can detect early) as well as antibodies. I believe it is a better test than the rapid.

For HSV2, you would have visual symptoms such as blisters, etc.  Sounds like you are good here. A expert doctor told me it is most conclusive after 16 weeks, use IGG test, not IGM if you want to rule out, but I would not test w/o having visual signs now.

Most of your symptoms sound like they could be caused by anxiety. Chills, fatigue, dry cough, sweats, hot flashes, inability to concentrate, etc. are really common when you have prolonged anxiety. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.