Not sure if im where I should be in my recovery??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm 2 weeks and 3 days post abdominal hysterectomy.... I've been fine pottering around the house, I can do light jobs such as empty the dishwasher and wash up etc , however today I had my first trip out with my husband in the car. I only walked around a small shop and I felt like my abdominal organs was going to fall out!,! ....it's made me feel like I've taken 10 steps back !!! I also keep crying at the most unimportant things, and feeling very irrational... I did not have my ovaries removed......I think my husband thinks I've gone a bit bonkers!!!!

please can anyone tell me if they have had a similar experience....?.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there lovely

i will be 4 weeks post op abdominal hysterectomy on monday. My ovaries were left and i have terrible mood swings feeling very down and crying my eyes out but i do think that is normal. I definitely know how your feeling about going out. I have been out a few times and get the same feelings also back pain and extreme tiredness. It does get better honey. A hot bath painkillers and bed helps me. Its like your says do this and your body says no way. Big hugs honey xx

• Posted

I meant your barin tells u one thing and your body says no way. I still walk like a heavily pregnant woman holding her stomach!
  • Posted

Hi I am

3 weeks post op after having a total abdominal with ovaries removed. I must say that initially I thought I was doing well and started pottering but like you seemed to have taken a step backwards. I think the problem is my head is telling me I can do it and my body is telling me no way!!!! I think we have to take things really easy and take small steps at a time and listen to our bodies. My gp only told me this week that although we may feel fine we have had major surgery will take a long whole to get over. Like you I went out last week only to my daughter who lives 5 minutes away she had just moved and although I couldn't lift anything I tried to help by folding some clothes washing up etc. this really took it out of me and I spent all weekend in bed in agony so I think I learned my lesson.

Like you my emotions are all over the place and I am like a hormonal Rottweiler or witch as my family have nicknamed me. I have the weepies over nothing and then I'm fine and then all of a sudden I am being snappy and irrational!!! My poor family don't know whether they are coming or going and are walking on egg shells. I have started the HRT patches but my gp

Said that they will take a couple of weeks and again that this is all part of the course. Be patient and don't beat yourself up and push yourself.

Hope this helps sometimes knowing that someone is experiencing the same as what you are is a comfort.

Hope you have a speedy recovery

Warmest wishes

Shelley xxx

• Posted

That makes me feel a whole lot better!!!! Thank you x
  • Posted

Hi I had a vaginal hysterectomy and prolapse repairs on the 11th Feb. I went for a walk with my husband and felt quite uncomfortable by the time we got back to the car. Made me realise I've still got a long way to go.

Speedy recovery ladies.

• Posted

Hi Bridy, I'm 3 months post TAH but kept ovaries. I think what you are experiencing is entirely normal for your stage. I thought I was doing so well at 3-4 weeks but the fatigue really hit about then. It will get better in time but it is a long process. I am due back at work on a phased return on Monday. I know I'm going to find it a struggle. I'm great in the mornings but by 3pm I'm shattered. This op is a long process of recovery. Build up steadily and get plenty of rest.
  • Posted

Hi, feeling similar to you! 2 weeks 5 days post TAH and BSO. First 2 weeks were tough , thought I could do more when kids back to school and hubby back at work. But think I overdid it. Only pottering about , tidying, wash up , kids tea etc but ended up worn out at end of week. Washing machine packed up and stood for 15 mins to do some small bits of hand washing and abdominals were not happy! Trying to do daily walk  but not far, 20 mins just able to do. How some people go back to work at 4 weeks I do not know. Will slow down a bit next week. Work way off on the horizon I feel. We r all different tho and I just feel u must listen to your body. Mine is not happy! Very achey, bowels not working right!!! All just starting to get me down a bit as feel not going forwards, but will have to be patient I suppose. Thought I could just breeze through it but not the case, hence my being on here now. I have not felt majorly hormonal and plan to see gp soon re hrt. Just frustrated at feeling so tired, and things being so difficult. Hang on in there,!
  • Posted

Yep similar experience here too, I'm 4 weeks post TAH, retained ovaries. Just be careful and take things easy, though we think we can do things we soon realise we can't. Be especially careful emptying the dishwasher etc, they say bending particularly in the first four weeks is the worst thing! Only yesterday I decided to shave my own legs (hubby had been doing them for me LOL) I'm paying for it today, first pain killers in a couple of weeks and some rusty water type discharge sad
  • Posted

Thanks for all the helpful tips, although I don't want any one else to feel like I do....it's sort of reassuring to know that there are others that do!!!

its so frustrating and I'm not the most patient person!! Hats off to the hubby who shaved your legs.....I had my first bath this morning!!! 

• Posted

Just reading these replies to your questions have answered a lot of my own. I need to take it slower than I have!! Just spent the weekend back in bed after a trip to the park to watch my boy play football with his dad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.