Not sure what to do :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im new to this, first post. I've been feeling really really low for about 4/5 weeks. I don't look forward to anything, i have no motivation, i feel like im just existing. I can't sleep as my mind won't shut down, im hardly eating so have no energy or disire to do anything. I have a lovely partner and two amazing children so i should be happy but im not. I feel gulity for feeling like this, i need to do soemthing becuase i can't go on like this. 

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann......Honey,it sounds like you may be suffering from depression.How long have you been feeling like this?...If it is affectting your quality of life,perhaps it might be an idea to talk to your G.P?(I hope you've a nice G P)this does immeasurably at times.Have you discussed it with your partner?What does he think?Always listen to your gut feeling....If it tells you you may need help with this,our intuition is usually right.And DON'T feel guilty:you've done nothing to feel bad about...Again this is very symptomatic of depression...I feel I should win prizes for beating myself up at times,because I am so good at it (take note everyone:you got competition!!!)and never lose your sense of humour!And omit the should if possible....Keep us posted,Sally x x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sally, thank you for your reply. It is deffinetly affecting my quality of life, I don't really go out much other than the school run. Friends ask to see me and I just can't be bothered. How awful is that I normally love seeing my friends. 

I did pluck up the courage to see my GP last Friday. I struggle to admit how low I really do feel sometimes, I couldn't even tell my GP truthfully how I've been feeling. She have me some 10mg citalopram tablets just to help pick my mood. I know this sounds silly but I'm scared to take them incase I get dependant on them. 

I've told my partner I struggle at times but that's it. I can't admit how I really feel and I'm scared he'll find it too much and go, which again is silly I know. Xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Ann.....I know it's pretty scary sometimes making the decision... I held off for months taking my current medication,after not taking anything for a year.After talking it through with a couple of close friends,I realized I had to give it a go.I started on 25 mg of Lustral (Sertraline) when I had been prescribed 50 mg.I did this for a number of weeks to allow my body to get used to the drug Then increased to the prescribed 50mg.I would say,if you take the plunge,do the same.....If you are in a loving relationship,I would hope that your partner will be supportive and be there for you.Anti-depressant drugs aren't addictive in the way that recreational/illegal drugs are.I wouldn't allow this to put you off.Other than that,try eating nourishing foods...I find if I eat rubbish for more than one day,it can affect my mood. Be kind to yours and again...Don't give yourself a hard time for feeling the way you do.Please try talking with your partner....It may really help you to find out he understands.x x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have watched someone dear to me for over two decades and the sideshow that these drugs can perform if we are not careful.  I have been on mirtazapine for 60 days and have started to reduce 30 mg < 15.  i have never needed an antidepressant in my life. im basically 50 and was told there were no side affects.  they certainly have helped me through the last couple of months, however there are side effects.  research is a good a tool.  google your med and have a look what it tells you.  i just did and i assure you would find interesting reading. all im trying to say is know what you are taking and most importantly how i can react going on and coming off this drug?

good luck xx

15. ="" i="" have="" never="" needed="" an="" antidepressant="" in="" my="" life.="" im="" basically="" 50="" and="" was="" told="" there="" were="" no="" side="" affects. ="" they="" certainly="" have="" helped="" me="" through="" the="" last="" couple="" of="" months,="" however="" there="" are="" side="" effects. ="" research="" is="" a="" good="" a="" tool. ="" google="" your="" med="" and="" have="" a="" look="" what="" it="" tells="" you. ="" i="" just="" did="" and="" i="" assure="" you="" would="" find="" interesting="" reading.="" all="" im="" trying="" to="" say="" is="" know="" what="" you="" are="" taking="" and="" most="" importantly="" how="" i="" can="" react="" going="" on="" and="" coming="" off="" this="" drug?="" good="" luck="" xx="">

good luck xx

>

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry Ann...I realize you said you've been low for 4/5 weeks....Perhaps that's long enough to warrant a visit to the G P ....
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hy Ann, sounds like you're going through similiar symptoms that I had beginning of the year, ! 

Don't panic, you're not alone   . . You've done exactly the right thing by talking about how you've been feeling, depression can affect anyone at any time regardless of how your private life is, don't beat yourself up. .

When I was bad I could'nt stand the thought of engaging with friends & family & knew that I wasn't right & that I desperately needed medication to help me (as I had an 'out of the blue' attempt at hanging myself); really felt guilty & ashamed, didn't tell my wife for a week & through frank talks I went to see the GP. Thank goodness. . Prescribed sertraline which immediately helped. 

Take heart & make an appointment with a Dr that trust (not always your own) & explain how you're feeling, dont gloss over it, tell it how it is & 'be brave', you're not a failure & this will get better, & please keep in touch via forum. 

Wishing best wishes Marty. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

There is no reason to feel guilty.  It is not your fault you are feeling low.  I do hope you have been to see a doctor and discussed hgow you are feeling.

Depression can hit anyone.  the symptoms you describe do sound like depression.  The only way to know for certain is to see a doctor.  It is an illness that can come out of the blue and affect anyone. 

I do hope you see a doctor.  Let us know what you decide.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well done for coming on this site, it was a very good idea.

If you are feeling low then it isn't your fault, you don't need to feel guilty at all. There is already loads of great advice on here but I will say make sure to see your GP as they will be able to help so much more than other people on here.

I hope you keep is updates on how you are doing xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Ann, I am new to this sight and it was Depresion that brought me here. I wont go into my own personal details as i am just new  but these symtoms you are showing warrant a visit to your GP. I would never try and diagnose your symtoms, and i can really understand how difficult it can be to open up to someone sitting oposite to you, compared to writing it down. But make the appointment....even if you raise the point enough to make them aware of it then clam up, you still made the first step, If you are not comforatable talking just yet, keep posting here....we will answer you x 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies. I think using this site and knowing there is somewhere I can talk about how I feel and get support has already helped. 

I still haven't taken the anti depressants and will do some research into the effects before I make a decision. 

I'm going to make another appointment with my GP on Monday and try to te the how I really feel rather than pretending I'm ok. I think I might write down how I feel and when ect to help me. 

I'm really up and down which doesn't help. One minuet I feel ok and the next I'm fighting back tears. I feel incredibly lonely a lot of the time. My partner is often at work or the gym so I do spend a lot of time alone with the children. I can't help but feel bad for them especially my daughter. She is such a lovely happy little girl and I don't want how I feel to rub off on her. Yesterday she nearly made me cry when she offered to do the washing up as she felt I needed a rest and do too much, she's 5. 

Thank you again xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up