Not yet diagnosed, but think I'm showing symptoms?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my thyroid test a year ago, but results came back clear. So I went again this year for symptoms of IBS and she decided to test my thyroid again.

First it was the itching on my legs. I had at points itched off the skin of the top of feet and had scabs everywhere from where my skin just wouldn't stop itching. I've since gone back twice for this issue and although I've been prescribed creams and ointment it's never really gone.

I suffered from depression and although I've gone for CBT I'm struggling with no sex drive, irritability and anxiety. I've also had times where my legs feel like they're going to give way on me.

My periods have gotten really light. I get night sweats occasionally and struggle to stay asleep. Once I'm hot I'm sweating like crazy and once I catch a drift I can't seem to warm up.

I have an insatiable appetite, but struggle to gain weight. If I don't eat every 2-3 hours I shake, feel sick and swear I'm gonna pass out.

In one week I'm constipated then have soft stool, often going 3-4 times in one day. This along with bloating and nausea. Not to mention the nails lifting from their nail bed and not getting any better despite doing everything I got told to do.

I just really need some advice as to what to do. Whether or not I'm actually having symptoms.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hmmmm......

Could the itchyness be Dermatitis Herpetiformis ? ( diagnosed by skin sample ) - and related to Coeliac Disease.

(If you are considered for IBS then you should - at some stage - also be screened for CD).

• Posted

Hi, you don't say how old you are (and I am not asking) but I

started my menopause when I was 46 years old - the hot flushes

etc sounds like the same symptoms I suffered from, I was also

diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and have been on treatment

for both ever since, I am now 51 and feel great. Have you been

tested for an overactive thyroid, given some of the symptons you

have described, it sounds like you might have that instead....

• Posted

I'm only 22.

They tested my thyroid levels in general last year and they're doing full blood count test along with coeliac disease and general thyroid levels.

Should hopefully be getting results next week, but wasn't sure whether the symptoms I've developed over the last two/three years are linked or not.

• Posted

Also the doctor who saw me for my legs said that it must just be dry skin as I've got no inflammation, redness or sores. Since then I've been prescribed three different things to help combat it although it's helped, it's not really rid of the issue. Haven't bothered to go back.
  • Posted

Hi there

I have had an underactive thyroid for about 8 years. Started on 50mcg and this was increased to 75mcg up until last November. I had been feeling unwell again but with different/additonal symptons like tingling/numbness in feet and hands, headaches and feeling slightly dizzy sometimes. Also dry skin on the legs and itchy skin on body. Dose was increased to 100mcg last November and when retested in February results were worse than before. Now on increased dose of 150mcg since February and nothing has changed. Have since been back to doctor and been tested for B12 deficiency, which I understand is not uncommon in hypothyroid patients. No results as yet, but I will keep you posted. B12 deficiency can be diet related but is also another auto-immune disease which affects an enzyme in the stomach and stops the uptake of B12 in the diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.