Nothing helps

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with depression for many years. I am in my early thirties and started taking antidepressants at 18. I've taken so many different meds and a few years things got so bad I had ECT. My depression rarely improves and when it does it is fleeting. I took myself off medication because it was having no effect. I had been seeing a psychologist for CBT recently and honestly it was making me feel worse. She agreed it wasn't helpful and has made me an appointment with my old psychiatrist who had discharged me because they said they couldn't do anything else. I feel things are getting worse and worse. I know the psychiatrist and have found them pretty useless. I'm really at the end of my tether. Things are physically so hard like basic stuff such as washing and interacting. I know they have given up on treating me so what hope is there?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

What kind of medication did you take in the past? In treatment-resistant cases the drugs of last resort are monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOi). Although they are far superior in terms of efficacy when compared with more modern SSRIs and tricyclics, they are rarely used these days due to a potentially lethal interaction with other drugs and common food ingredients. If nothing else helped - maybe this would be the way to go? You would need to find a good psychiatrist, ideally an older one, who still remembers how to use them.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I think I have only been on SSRI's and mood stabilizers. The psychiatrist is fairly young so not sure they would prescribe anything else. I'm dreading the appointment.

• Posted

Hi,

I’m sorry that you are feeling so poorly. 

Have you tried changing drs?

Sometimes it takes a long time to find the right meds. I’ve been there.

I understand about not washing and not interacting with others.

I had my meds changed. But it did take a while for them to kick in.

Please try to find another professional. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.