Nothing on colonoscopy... what does this mean for me?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my colonoscopy done today and the doctor gave me and my fiance my results today. He said my colon looks great and there was nothing structurally that looked wrong, he didn't need to see me until I was old and needed routine checks.

What does this mean for me going forward? Just that I'm cleared of certain things?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That's great - what were your symptoms prior that made you go for a colonoscopy?

• Posted

Iv had pain on my right side and constipation (going between 4 and 6 or 7 days between bowel movements for me) since last November. I get extremely bad pain with certain foods, and can control it some by avoiding certain things. I have to strain really badly for my bowel movements.

All my symptoms started after having my appendix removed. If posted on here a few times.

I have been given a few different diagnosis on this. The first was ovarian cysts (I am now on a new birth control and have no cysts to be causing the pain), ibs which my doctor disagrees with, and my doctor feels it is simply chronic constipation.

• Posted

So glad you can feel relieved - maybe you need more juice in your diet or Metamucil or the like? Although just check with the chemist. Sure they'd be some herbal things you could take to get you going - movicol?

Just try and relax now with the knowledge you are okay apart from this.

• Posted

I would go with your IBS diagnosis. Simple constipation would not cause you to get pain after eating certain foods.  This is an IBS symptom.  I had bouts of constipation when I was younger before I had IBS. Laxatives solved it.  My constipation symptoms didn't not include pain after eating certain foods.  My brother had stomach pain after eating potato and bowel habit change.  He was diagnosed with IBS. 

I saw on one of your previous posts that you had had diarrhoea as well, if I remember correctly. Alternating bowel habits is also a sign of IBS.

If you had simple constipation, your pain would go away completely after your bowel started moving again. The pain would not keep coming back.  This is how my doctor explained it to me.  If you need to see a doctor again, speak to the one who diagnosed you with IBS.  He or she will understand your symptoms better.

My IBS symptoms are similar to yours although I have no pain after food. I mainly get constipation and like you can go several days between bowel movements and then do the backlog in one go.  Pain comes on with me when stressed.  If you have incomplete bowel movements and the pain improves  temporarily after passing a stool, this is IBS.  

IBS is a functional bowel disorder which means that there is nothing wrong with the physical structure of your bowel; the problem is related to how the bowel works.  That is why your colonoscopy showed nothing.  Try over the counter Buscopan for pain,  Low Fodmap if you haven't done so and try to stay as stress free as possible.  Stress makes IBS worse.  

With IBS, you will find that antispasmodics and painkillers will reduce the pain but will not get rid of it entirely.  Sometimes you may have to try several.  The doctor who diagnosed you with IBS, can advise you on other ones to take, if Buscopan doesn't help.

• Posted

Thank you, you have been an amazing help on all of my posts. I did have a bout of diarrhea (which freaked me out a little since I had never had it before!), and I do have incomplete bowel movement which relieve my pain for a very short amount of time, usually on the x day when I get this relief I will go two or three times and then I will go another x days before I have any more bowel movements.

I have started on low fodmap and have found a variety of foods that bother me, mostly sugar based foods, and have likewise found foods that do not bother me. This has helped me tremendously and I have actually went through my first period of no pain thanks to this group. I didn't think it was possible.

I do think stress affects my ibs, if I have an extremely stressful time I go longer between my bowel movements and my pain does increase, if noticed this since starting low fodmap. Though this could be nothing as I haven't been on the low fodmap diet very long.

But again. Thank you so much, you and every one else on here have been such an amazing help!

• Posted

I'm glad you've had great help and support and hope you will get more extended periods of remission from your IBS.

• Posted

This is the first time if went to the bathroom since my colonoscopy and my bm was long and strung out) instead of stone like or solid like normal (it varies between these normally). It was also more mushy than normal but still extremely hard to pass.

Is this normal?

• Posted

It can take a while for your bowel,to settle down again after the disturbance caused by the colonoscopy.  Bowel habits can vary continuously with IBS even without this procedure. Stress will influence this enormously.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.