Numbness in the knee after 8 weeks

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi. My name is Darcy. I am from Airdrie, Canada ..

i had my TKR  done on March 31 (8 weeks ago)  I still have swelling on my operated leg; and I have numbness on  the upper outside of my leg and around my knee .. Also , all along where I had my staples and my incision , it gets very sore when I have long pants rubbing against it. My flexing is only at 110* what am I doing wrong ??

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are not doing anything wrong. I and 5 months post complete kr and i still have a numbing in the same place as you and  also swelling. Which my physiotherapist says is all normal and it could take up to a year to settle. As for the rubbing make sure you put plenty of miosturiser at least three times a day, this will help.
    • Posted

Hi Tracy,

Is it OK to put moisturiser directly onto the scar?

Thanks,

Alan

• Posted

Yes as long as you have no open wounds, you cant put enough on. I use dove rehydration three/four times a day and its healing nicely.
    • Posted

Thank you for the valuable piece of info , Tracey .. I will start puttin Viramin E cream on my incision.. 
  • Posted

Hi Darcy,

I'm at 5.5 weeks.

I have a numbness / hardness on outside of leg and at front below my incision. My physio told me to massage lightly in small circles and it seems to be improving.

I left hospital at 90°, am now only at 95° (sometimes get more like 100°+, but not consistently).

I'd be over the moon if I get 110° at any stage.

Keep up the good work, well done.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you so much for the quick reply, Irish Al .  I will definitely try massaging around my incision., and wherever the numbness us..
  • Posted

I don't think you could expect more yet it's v early days in terms of the trauma of this type of operation...lots of exercise is the only way to encourage flexibility, check YouTube for post op instructions. Experience from other recent operations informs me that scar tissue takes months to completely settle going from traumatised numbness through sensensitivity before settling down. I would avoid tight chaffing materials. My leg is constantly swelling and going down...too much exercise or sitting in one position too long can do it, lots of cold compresses, rest and raising your leg will help. Knee ops take ages to recover from; its small changes over a long process, good luck
  • Posted

Hi Darcy I think you are doing great! I'm 10 weeks po and my bend is 108. And it was a tough process getting there. I was stuck at 65 at 6 weeks so I had manipulation done. So in 4 weeks I've managed to get to 108! So 110 at your stage is really good! We are told all the little details about this op when we have it. Like the swelling and tightness. I finally come to terms that's going to happen. Did I over do something? Maybe. Could it be the 90° heat we had? Could be. Just keep working it. Rest ice elevate when you can. I started seeing a difference around week 7. Off pain meds. Walking a little better. Although sometimes I think I must look like a 100 yr old woman walking. lol this is a great place for questions, concerns or just to vent. I've been able to get through things just from comments from people on here. Take care. Try not to get discouraged. I no it's hard. It does get better.
    • Posted

thank you so much for the advice and encouragement Linlee. It does get discouraging a lot of times. 
    • Posted

I agree Linlee, how was that manipulation. .?? I'm 10 weeks 100 bend. Seeing follow up appt with doc at 3 months. Hoping for the best??  Still on pain Meds n all the ordinary symptoms.  I had a fall at the beginning, freaked out still from that, that's why I've been putting it off, get a little stronger each day.  I hear one is knocked out, however don't know too much about how one feels after procedure. Last time I saw my doc he mentioned however I kind of shut him down, wasn't up for anymore of anything.  Now I'm better in the head so I may consider. Any input would be appreciated, thanks,  🍀🤔💐, kathy p. 
  • Posted

That should say we aren't told the little details. .
  • Posted

Hi Darcy!

All normal things! Don't worry!☺

Try wearing yoga pants of soft knit fabric. Later on your incision area won't be as tender, but for now the soft fabric will feel better.

At nearly one year post op my left leg is getting most of the feeling back but still has some numbness. My right had less numbness even at the beginning after surgery. It all depends on the areas that were involved in the surgery.

Swelling takes its time to go down and can come and go often for no apparent reason. I had more swelling issues with my left than my right. Two legs...same body, different results!

Keep thinking positive and move around every hour or so to get the circulation going. Drink plenty of ice water to flush out toxins from medication. Drinking lots of water helps eliminate swelling which seems weird but is true!

Let us know how things go, OK?

• Posted

thank you cheryl for the advice about the yoga pants and the drinking water... I am super bad for drinking very little water during the day..good luck with your recovery.. 
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl, I hear from lots of people to drink lots of water.  I'm goin all nite long. Do u know what may be " how much water".   Thanks for any info, best kathy p 🍀🤔
    • Posted

For the first four months when swelling was a big issue for my left TKR, I drank a 16 oz. bottle of ice water throughout the night with several potty trips. Throughout the day I finished off three or four more! The ice water seemed to help rid my system of anesthesia in the hospital and for several weeks later as well as reduce swelling and rid toxins from my medications.

I made sure that I took my vitamins, ate well, and also moved as much as possible to keep stiffness at bay.

Nothing takes the place of good old water! Coffee, tea, soda, juices are fine, but water seems to do the best job to help swelling and also guard against dehydration.

My son and daughter-in-law are distance runners. They always have their water bottles with them whether they are on a run or just sitting around. I guess a person can overdo it on water, but unless a person's urine is light yellow, darker yellow DOES indicate being dehydrated. Maybe that will guide you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.