Numbness in the knee after 8 weeks

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi. My name is Darcy. I am from Airdrie, Canada ..

i had my TKR  done on March 31 (8 weeks ago)  I still have swelling on my operated leg; and I have numbness on  the upper outside of my leg and around my knee .. Also , all along where I had my staples and my incision , it gets very sore when I have long pants rubbing against it. My flexing is only at 110* what am I doing wrong ??

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Darcy, you are not doing anything wrong, everyone heals at their own pace, keep doing your physio and your bend will get better but 110 is doing really good.

I am 10 weks post op, my leg still swells and gets achy/uncomfortable when I overdo things. My incision too has been very tender since around week 5, I took a bad reaction to the dissolving stitches. I still at various times of day especially in evening and bed can not bear anything on my scar, not even the bed clothes. My consultant told me to massage it and rub Bio oil into the scar. You can only do this as long as scar is completly healed.

​As for the numbness I also asked him and he said it is were the nerve have been damaged/cut during surgery, you might get some sensation back and might not, it apparently will take time but to keep massaging it.

Best wihes for continuing improvement.

​S   x

• Posted

This is Darcy. Thank you to all of you who have replied.  I havev tried to send each if you a reply from my iPad; but I keep on losing the replies when this site kicks me out. I do feel much better reading your replies. I was getting very discouraged. I will try the yoga pants, the lotions, the massage; and if course, drinking LOTS more water.. Thank you all again !!
  • Posted

I am 13 weeks in from my tkr. I still have the swelling and the numbness on the outside of my knee. I also have stiffness in my knee. It seems to be worse after I ice it. Does anyone know if the stiffness ever goes away or what to do to get rid of it? My flex is 107 after physical therapy but only 90 when I start. I heard the swelling may last for months.

• Posted

Thank you so much, Jeanne 06699 , that does make me feel better. Since the surgery, I have found that I have been on a HUGE emotional roller coaster .there are certainly days where I ask myself "Why the hell did I get the surgery done ?? " Reading your post , and everyone else's post , has given me hope and incentive. 
  • Posted

Hi Darcy.. Don't worry, if you read thru this forum u will find u r not alone. I had mine on March 14. My flexing is 100. I have been so discouraged, however have learned that we all heal differently, actually I had a good cry at my pt session. She was great n picked my spirits back up.  I still get what I call these electrical shocks on top n side of knee. Ligaments tight, swelling still there. Good days not so good days. I'm hoping for a better number this week, will have to see. Hang in there, from what I hear we all heal differently n it may take up to six months to a year till u feel normal, whatever that is?  Stay strong n patience is a necessity hear along with our beloved exercises.  Blowing healing prayers your way... 🌬🍀😇, kathy p.
    • Posted

Thank you so much, Kathy ..that does make me feel better. Since the surgery, I have found that I have been on a HUGE emotional roller coaster .there are certainly dats where I ask myself "Why the hell did I get the surgery done ?? " Reading your post , and everyone else's'  base given me hope and incentive. 
  • Posted

Hi Darcey I have just discovered ibuprofen gel which I slather on my aching leg from top to bottom and along with painkillers it gives me enough relief to find a comfortable position in which to fall asleep. Sleep is such a healer especially for the mind I do hope this helps you too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.