Nurofen and Solpadeine overdose

Posted , 3 users are following.

Late Tuesday I'd ran out of codeine tablets for my back. So I took 2solpadeine Max and 5 Nurofen plus every two hours all day. By evening I had chest pain and was white in complexion. I had to dial 999 as I thought I was going to die. The hospital were vey good. I was immediately put on an antidote for the 16 Solpadeine Max I'd taken and ecgs and bloods taken

To my surprise the blood tests were normal except potassium and vitamins which I also had IV. The first 2 nights I wasn't on the planet and was convinced I'd been left to die. In total I took 30 Nurofen plus.and 16 Solpadeine Max. I was in hospital for 4 days and had to go cold turkey. The diorheoa was horrendous during my withdrawal. It wasn't until Friday the nurses thought I looked normal again. Anyway I saw the psychiatric team on Saturday morning and they were happy to discharge me.

This was the scariest episode I've ever had. But I've started to take codeine tablets again for my back pain. Just hope I don't run out before my next prescription

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Order them well in advance, and only take the recommended dose
  • Posted

Nurofen are quite strong so never exceed the maximum dose.  5 every 2 hours along with your other med is far too much so no wonder you od'd.   If you do run out tell the pharmacist at your usual chemist (I presume you are in the UK) and they should give you enough to tide you over until your next prescription,  I know mine will and when I apologised he laughed and said don't worry about it as loads of people do it!   x

• Posted

I've tried that with my chemist before and I was told I was taking too many and I thought the pharmacist was going to phone my go. In hospital on my discharge letter it said I was addicted to codeine as I take 68mg per dose. I was told that it was a panic attack I had suffered by the consultant. Whilst I went cold turkey in hospital I had the most horrendous withdrawal symptoms ranging from too much saliva to stomach cramps and diarrhoea. It was awful. They gave me Librium to try and ease the withdrawal but they didn't work
    • Posted

Plus I don't get my codeine on repeat. I have to go to the Drs every 6 weeks for a prescription

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.