obsessed with heart rate causing anxiety to flare up

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with severe SVT (superventricular tachycardia) and i currently wear a holter monitor so i know someone is monitoring my heart (and it is a 24/7 service) but it has made me become SUPER obsessed with my heart rate, and its controlling my life. im lways checking it, if its jist a little too low i freak out and when im doing nothing and its way too high i freak out and it goes even higher. how can i stop this? i dont want to be constantly checking my pulse but i cant help it if i dont know it then i feel anxious

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I’m the same I constantly feel my pulse and check what my heart rate is!! I’m now on propranolol to calm my heart rate down and it has made me kinda forget about it x
    • Posted

I'm currently about to start metoprolol. I've had anxiety for years, but its gotten so much worse now that I'm aware of all the stuff my heart rate does and especially since I've been taken off my medication, now if my heart rate seems to fast, or too slow i immediately go into a panic attack, especially around bedtime, sometimes just laying still i have readings of 140+ and then anxiety kicks in and i dont sleep until im too tired to stay awake

• Posted

Hi Kristen. Sorry you are going through this. I think I would be the same. Not feeling completely at ease with every beat. Maybe you can explain your feelings to your doctor and they can help or find a comforting social group with likeminded people. I hope you feel better. Prayers
    • Posted

Thank you Ivy, I have discussed with my doctor, I've been in counseling but Imve been taken off the medicine that I used to control my anxiety for years, so I'm not used to having to control it "manually" i would say. 

• Posted

I check my heart rate often too during the day, wondering if I'm getting a heart attack or not. Maybe you could remind yourself that there is someone looking out for you and if they're not freaking out, you don't have to worry about it.

• Posted

thats exactly what I'm worried about! I'm very young, but I'm almost constantly worried that I'm gonna have a heart attack despite the fact that its highly unlikely, any sudden spike or drastic fall in my heart rate and I get very panicky. Its even worse because I research constantly on it and my resting heart rate is almost always 105-110+, which can be a trigger or "gateway" for heart disease or heart attack. 

• Posted

Hi Kristen 

I got to say I completly know how you feel... This is the first time I have ever written or replied to this subject but I have suffered with compulsively checking my pulse/heart rate must be well over 100x a day and it's getting to point where enough is enough. It really controls everything I do. I havnt got any answers to a solution so sorry about that... But anyone with any tips on how to get over this?? I don't know why I check it... My friends jokingly say to me im still alive it's beating "don't worry". I can walking down the street on a night out and have to stop and check it rolleyes Shen it's slow guess what I'm freaked if it's weak likwise.. It used to freak me out when it gets quick, but now I prefer it to Being slow ??

• Posted

I totally get this! I'm always checking my fit bit, taking my pulse with app on phone. Documenting everything & driving myself crazy. Been to ER so many times with anxiety chest pains. Nothing wrong. Just got put on Zoloft 2 wks ago. My heartbeats are now in the 60s-70s rather than the 80-100s. I understand what you mean about constantly checking. Has anything helped take your mind off?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.