Obsessing About Symptoms

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm looking for some tips or advice regarding the physical symptoms I'm experiencing and how to stop obsessively worrying about them....like so many of you, I suffer from dizziness/"fuzzy head", muscle aches, headaches, palpitations, shakiness, anxiety, feeling as though my muscles are weak, irregular periods.....I just can't seem to stop thinking about them and worrying that I've got some horrible disease. I practice deep breathing and mindfulness exercises, I've been getting out and going for long walks every day (even when I feel lousy), I listen to Dr Claire Weekes on audiobook, I see a therapist, I take supplements....all good, right? But I still wake up every morning terrified that I've got MS or ALS or a brain tumour or I'm having a stroke or I have some other horrific disease.....and then I start getting (more) anxious which makes the symptoms worse....I dread getting into the shower because I almost always feel dizzy and shaky when I'm showering, and I no longer look forward to going to work (but I'm terrified to stay home alone).

I feel as though I'm having a nervous breakdown....it's just so frustrating and exhausting to feel this way every day. 

I'm not the only one feeling this way...am I? How do the rest of you manage?

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

wearykitty,

Hang in there wearykitty. This is a rough road to travel no doubt. I too have been struggling with peri. I've think I've had some symptoms for the last several years like the beginning of panic attacks buy my periods were regular. Turned 51 last Sept so going on 52 this year but that is when I actually started to skip a period here and there. In April, after a bout of diverticulitis, all hell broke loose. It seemed to bring a lot of ugly symptoms to a head and I really thought I was having a nervous breakdown but then I found this forum and realized that I'm probaby just going to peri especially since tests showed uterine fibroids with a lot of woman have and they can cause me gastric distress. I now am being treated for diverticulitis again and coincidentally my pain started as my period was ending on Sunday. Hmmm maybe it's my fibroids again. I fear losing my job because of time missed for my "female" issues. Wish I could just quit my job and stay home until I'm done going through the change. I know woman who sailed through it with no symptoms at all so what makes us so different?

• Posted

Do you know, something else weird is happening with me, this time a positive thing. I feel like a sponge for knowledge, like I have the ability to learn a new language every week. I wish I had the time to channel this new found yearning for learning but I have 2 young kids (8/6) so my time is not my own. I found I could learn French from my iPhone so started to do this but have lapsed due to lack of time. When the kids go back to school, I will start again though as I am determined. I would suggest learning as a good way to focus the mind, if any of you ladies have the time and the inclination.
  • Posted

hi wearykitty,

I totally relate to what you are going through, its pretty much a nightmare isnt it.

From my experiences you are so right when you say that the anxiety makes the symptoms worse.  Like most of us I have thought that every symptom I have had has been some terminal illness and I think I was very close to a breakdown.  The doctor wanted me on antidepressants and diazepam and suggested tnat I go through a new mental health program they had started for my depression, which they diagnosed me with.  Only thing was I wasnt depressed as such just very very anxious and confused about what was happening to my body.  This all started October last year which was exactly 1 month after my last proper period.  Cause I started to get stomach probs then as well I couldnt eat and that made my anxiety worse.  I went to a naturopath and he diagnosed me with so many problems that I got sicker, through the meds and potions he sold to me and the anxiety that I wasnt getting better only sicker.  So I just thought I was dying and that was it.  I was terrified to go to the dr for 6 months, finally in March I had to go and get bloods done, so as it turned out there is nothing wrong with me except my fsh level was at that time 111,  high cholesterol and IBS no doubt brought on from peri as I have never suffered from it previously.  There isnt really anything I can take to help with peri symptoms not even pain relief for a headache everything upsets my tummy and the gas pains and nausea arent worth it.  I have been working on my anxiety for awhile now and It has been probably the last 3 weeks that I have noticed that I am finally starting to pick up. I have been constantly reinforcing to myself with every symptom that I get, that this has happened before and if it was bad it wouldnt just come and go and every day I tell myself, today I am healthier, stonger and I feel well.  If I dont focus on the symptom it is not as strong as it used to be. I can honestly say that I have very little anxiety now, I can go out to the shops and enjoy shopping again, havent done that in 10 months, the last 4 days we have spent renovating and painting our bathroom, whereas even 1 month ago I couldnt have cared less about what the bathroom looked liked, let alone think I would have the energy and feel well enough to do something that I have wanted to do for a few years now.  I am pretty excited as today for the 1st time in 10 mionths I tried some skim milk and I had no reaction.  I am not doing this all alone I am seeing a nutrionist/homeopath to help me with the tummy problems  I still get the symptoms but I can handle them better now, as they say, they will pass (until the next time, lol).  Its a hard long journey but I believe if we can just somehow not focus on the symptoms and retrain our minds from thinking that we have something wrong with us to its all a natural process and it will get better. thats a start in the right direction.  I hope that you have a better day today...

Jo xx

• Posted

Thank you, Jo....it really does help it know that I'm not alone in this and that it will get better....I just wish more doctors were interested in and knowledgeable about peri...I'd feel a lot better if they didn't all look at me as if I'd lost my mind whenever I explain the symptoms I'm having....I don't think their reaction helps my anxiety!
    • Posted

You are welcome wearykitty, you arent alone thats for sure.  I wish that drs and some naturopaths were more interested and knowledgeable as well.  All my dr said is well if you cant go on hrt (which I cant) we cant treat all the individual symptoms and if I wont go on antidepressants and/or diazepam there is nothing they can do for me and mine had a smirk on her face when I told her what I was experiencing, she isnt my dr anymore thats for sure and you are right their reactions dont help with the anxiety. It will get better, I would not have believed anyone if they told me that 1 month ago,  I had a period of sorts early July so my hormones are still raging I imagine, maybe I am lucky and that was the last...I wih you well and good health...
  • Posted

I know what you mean and have actually just recovered from a nervous breakdown because of all the stuff going on. Its the fear of not knowing whether you will be able to function from one day to the next. Everyone I know is now aware of ever symptom I get ( whether they believe me or not ) and somehow its made it a bit easier. I have just started taking Menopace and I think its relieving some of the symptoms but its early days.
    • Posted

Hi Bouncyville

it will help... take all the supplements you can to relieve it..

and remember hun, your not alone... try and accept it and dont dwell on it, and dont put pressures on yourself.. as and when ... and relax and enjoy .. its your life honey, we cant stop this phase but we can ride through it and do our best.. its all normal and remember its peri and not illness..

hang in there ... 

Jay xx

• Posted

I'm afraid mine is now full menopause as I had to have a hysterectomy last year at the age of 44. I also have fibro and hypermobility which have been aggrevated by the hormone changes so I think it was just a bit of a shock to the system. I'm back at work now and getting lots of support. Thanks for your reply x
    • Posted

Hi Bouncyville

yes it will be full menopause, a total hysterectomy is sudden shock to system, not a gentle peri hormone decline..

i just reached menopause ... had that confirmed by a gyno monday after an ultrasound.. but I had the gentle decline over 9-10 years.. still difficult..

so praise yourself hun, your doing great.. and still working, plenty of supplements and replenish what you can.... Jay xx 

• Posted

Hi Wearykitty, 

I'm 54 and four years into the menopause.  Just three months ago I found myself obsessing about my health and was it or wasn't it the menopause? My symptoms increased along with anxiety, panic and sleepless (only sleeping 2 or 3 hours a night!)  I ended up having a nervous breakdown as I got caught into the panic fear cycle!  

I have experienced breakdown 20 years ago and really didn't spot the signs as I thought it was the menopause, yes menopause symptoms are awful but nervous breakdown is the worst!!!!  Three months on I can confidently say I'm well, strong and happy again and returning to work.  I did this with a low dose antidepressant (that's supposed to also help with severe hot flushes) a couple of self help book and mindfulness (using a couple of good apps on my smart phone) I find the mindfulness helps reduce over thinking, which has been the root of my problems. 

Im not sure if my story helps in any way but I wish you well xx

• Posted

Hi Susan

well done to you ... You sound like you have got it all in order now..

and so pleased for you... 

Its good your happy again ...  All the best to you  Susan ..

your experience shows theres hope for ladies and light at the end of the dark tunnel ...

Jay xx

• Posted

Thanks Jay!  I think it's wonderful how we can all share and support on here as many suffer in silence, I pass on the details of this forum to many friends that are also going through the 'Change' and it's hard at times to find positives in a negative transition but I think we have try to smile and try to keep busy as there are far worst things we could be suffering from! 

Sue xx

• Posted

Hi Susan.....thank you for the response. It's amazing to me how kind and supportive everyone on this forum has been. Do you mind me asking which low-dose antidepressant worked for you? My ob/gyn has suggested that if my symptoms persist that I might want to try that route....I did try one earlier this year, with horrible side effects, so I had to discontinue....but I may be willing to try again if the other methods don't work for me.....
    • Posted

Hi Susan

spot on there, we have to accept, smile, I make light of it and if I have a flush when I am out I share it, with who ever I am with... I dont feel ashamed ... 

I think I do it to see how people react ..

a few weeks ago I was out one evening and its boiling in spain and sets my hot flushes off 😳 as you know we have a hot flush to cool our meno bodies down... Weird ay..

anyway I was sopping and hot and I just said Oh Jeeeez I am on fire .. Its my age you know.. Well one person made me a paper fan, and another guy went to his car and gave me a small spanish fan hahahahaha

I have got last hiding it... i just say it as it is and smile about it..it so helps 

and people understand more than we think ... 

When I go out now they say its hot have you brought your fan mrs 😃

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay, 

Ha that made me laugh!  I do the same!  Especially when I'm talking to younger women I just say "It's just my central heating kicking in! You've got all this to come!"  (With a big smile!!!) 

My work colleague has been going through the 'Change' for what she says is 15 years, having awful hot flushes so we're also handing each other something to fan ourselves....you have to laugh!!! 

Sue xx

• Posted

susan

15 years.... blimey ....

i thought my peri was bad 9-10 years... i am just meno reached now..

age 50 ... So feel quite liberated it is done ... Fingers crossed... Had all checked out too ultra sounds and all good, so feel at ease now..

no more peri ... Yippeeeeeee... But I will say, you do feel different ..

some ladies think you have peri, then meno and feel like you use to again, No .. 😃 you feel different, and still have blip days, but you accept it and smile about it... And do our best 😃

i had a natural peri which was difficult but had no choice, felt every symptom, and monitored it all, steady natural hormone decline... 

But its done ... Yay ..

Jay xx

• Posted

Jumping in to your chat with Susan here, you say your colleague has been going through it for 15 years, Susan? Well, I'm certain I felt my first symptom around the age of 35. Overnight, I noticed a vaginal change during sex (sorry for the icky subject). My vagina felt like sandpaper - that's the only way I can describe it - and sex suddenly was painful. I had test after test done for thrush and chlymidia, all negative, although I've been suffering with recurring thrush for the past year or so. I started researching my symptom and came up with various different names such as vaginosis and vulvadynia but now I think it might just have been the start of peri. I still have a little discomfort but I think it has improved a bit, not that sex is high on the agenda these days. Our kids are still young so we're lucky if we find time once a week!

So you've reached meno, right Jay? Have you not had a period for a year? Did you choose to have everything checked out with ultra sounds or was it advised?

And you feel different, you say? Different good? I can't wait for the time that I too can say it. I'm 48 and my periods are still pretty regular, although during the last year there have been about 4 or 5 instances of irregularity, ranging from 2 weeks to almost 8 weeks. I'm hoping that'll happen more often soon.

Incidentally, I only have one ovary. Don't know if that makes a difference. I had it removed when I was 38, which lead to me falling pregnant for the first time. Mother Nature is wonderful, isn't she?

Have a great day, ladies xx

• Posted

Hi Lara

True .. At approx age of 35 womens hormones start to decline 

I chose to see a Gyno get all checked .. For peace of mind .. Private Gyno ..

Had some issues in 30's and peri so wanted checking to see meno hadnt affected me with doing natural route.. And it being a long peri 10 years.. I am age 50 

Lara he told me i had atrophy ( dryness) all part of it 😢

I too feel thrush symptoms but its just dryness and it feels similar.

I have ordered premeno duo ovules for vaginal dryness they are duo and also ease the thrush type sensations supposedly so we will see. Amazon uk

Early days for me as full meno just here, its a year on 2 sept, but my 3d ultra sound confirmed non functioning ovaries and no follicles ..

Thin uterine wall etc .. Full meno reached ..

I live in southern spain so you are given your results to keep and told and talked through the findings as they are done ..  And shown on screen 

Have a great day lara 

Jay xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.