OCD = Diarreha = anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with severe ocd for 30 years.

I am waiting for a cingulotomy (brain surgery for ocd)

I have been waiting for 3 years.

Surgery date is now imminent, just waiting for CQC to give go a head, met all criteria and had pre assessment and met the surgeon.

3 year wait has had many setbacks (not mine).

Last two months have been hell and high water.

Out of the blue came hose pipe diarrhea, thought was due to dodgy food and thats it, then every 3, 4 or 5 days it kept happening after going on a liquid diet and slowly getting back to normal.

Had poo test = ok

Gp tummy test = ok.

Can my ocd/ anxiety on its own cause that ?.

I do not feel any more anxious than normal (my normal is severe).

Can anxiety do this to my intestine without me feeling more anxious?.

Can ocd/ anxiety do this out of the blue.

Desperate

B-B-B.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Acute anxiety can cause those symptoms, basically water is diverted to the digestive system to cause any excess weight (poo) to be quickly evacuated, you don't need to digest food and don't need the weight when in fight or flight more, hence the term "I sh*t myself" when faced with something scary all of a sudden.

n

• Posted

Many Thanks for that Aspinan

BUT - Could it come on out of the blue when i do not feel more anxious than usual - my anxiety is very high usually, and would it cause me to completley clear out my insides over 3/4 bouts of diarrea

several times in 6/8 weeks with variable gaps letting me get back to near normal eating.

regards

BBB

• Posted

This could all be down to anxiety.  The operation is almost upon you and you are telling yourself you are OK about it but your body is telling you different. If I were you I'd tell your GP what has been happening and see what he can suggest as if this is likely to happen when you are due to have the operation they will cancel it and I presume you don't want that to happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.