Odd,random,sharp pains in head then arm and neck

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I hope all is well. I`m a 31 year old female. I first will describe my symptoms: It first starts with a sharp,throbbing pain in one side of my head that will last a few seconds at a time and it will come and go,it lasts a few hours for just one day,then for the next few days after  i will still get it a tiny bit of the same pain here and there on different parts of my head. Also for those same few days on the left side of my body on my neck and upper arm and then lower arm I will get the same type of pain. I also feel slight pains in my chest as well for those few days.

I have gotten this 3 times,Once in november 2016,once on february 28th 2017 and again on march 20th 2017. The first two head pains were on the left and the third was on the right but the third wasn`t as bad and didn`t last as long,but even today i felt the same pain in my neck once today.

I first asumed it was ice pick headaches but now i`m not so sure or i think its anxiety because of the other pains. I have looked up symptoms for brain tumor,heart attack,stoke and anxiety attacks  and symptoms but i still don`t know. I have not gone to the doctor yet but i plan to sometime. My best friend suggested it could be a trapped nerve and air pockets in my spine and said to try the chiropractor first then the doctor.

I will add i don`t get any other signs that come with a brain tumor or heart attack.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I get these types of pain all the time, and yeah i definately know what you're going through. I self diagnosed myself with Health Anxiety becuase it just fits with my habits, and honestly the pains go away for me when i pre-occupy myself with something much more interesting than the pain. But that doesn't mean the pain will dissolve, as you still have anxiety. I don't have any clear way to tell you yet, as i'm dealing with the same headache/arm/chest pain myself. I'm also always tired and always feeling the need to puke/burp. It's kinda disgusting, but it's just become who i am for the time being, I've simply started to accept that this is what anxiety is and this is how it's going to be until it's over.

On the contrary, i will admit that using a beta blocker helps some with me (propranolol). Not sure why, but ever since i've been on it, i haven't had a single panic/anxiety attack, but the weird feeling that you get with DPDR is still persistent. The best course of action for you to take is to go see your GP. Have him listen to your heart, lungs, and explain to him how you're feeling. My GP says that i have Situational Anxiety, but i think i have GAD. Anyways, i hope something i've said will help on your endeavor. Take care of yourself, you're going to be fine!

• Posted

Emily

It sounds like Anxiety, although you may find your posture is bad and you are not standing or sitting right.

You could try Chiro, although I would take advice from your GP before you try that pathway, because sometimes damage can be caused because of the treatment and manipulation.

Swimming may help, if you cannot swim take lessons. I suffered a bad back and swimming helped at that time.

When you sit, sit upright, with your back straight and neck pushed back into your spine.Push your shoulders back into your chair, you need to take any stress on your neck away from your spine and head

Look up books on posture on the web or bookshops etc. It is worth a try, you have nothing to loose

BOB

• Posted

I get the same pains as you, I even have a discussion about it.

It's all those sharp pains that sometimes go from my neck to head or just the head in any part of it. It's really scary when it happens indeed. I used to get them quite a few times a day, still get them and I think for me it's a neck problem. I'm planning on going to the doctor too. 

Do NOT go to a chiropractor, really. I've read horrific stories about people who visited chiropractors that caused them even more damage. It's really dangerous for your spine, for your neck, for everything! 

Please, let us know when you go to the doctor, I would like to know what causes this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.