Odd sensation

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Ladies!

I was wondering if any of you ever get this sensation in the upper part of your chest above your breast right below the collar bone? It sort of twitches sometimes and can feel like a build up of gas in my chest. The feeling can also shift to my shoulder or shoulder blade or even down my arm. I have a doctors appointment today and I will mention it to him but I just wondered if maybe this was yet another peri symptom.

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Edited

this sounds like tendonitis which I developed on left side only.  If you feel around where the twitching is on the chest, you may feel a bulge.  It turned out to be tendonitis with me and although doctors didn't relate it to peri, from reading on here and other sites, tendonitis is fairly common in peri.  ask your doctor though to be sure.

the muscle in the upper chest is connected to the shoulder and upper inside arm and lower inside arm, so if you get these feelings in these areas, then I would think it's the same as me, tendonitis.  Dropping oestrogen affects the tendons unfortunately.  rolleyes

• Posted

Oh wow! I will mention this to him today. Thanks! I was thinking it had to do with digestion since I would sometimes feel it in my chest when I ate.
    • Posted

I forgot to mention that mine is on the left side too.
    • Posted

I also developed digestion issues (gone now which is great), at the same time as the tendonitis.  This all happened over 7 months ago.  I also felt gassy upper stomach and heartburn feelings on the left side (all left side, apparently attacks the weaker side!).  Would be interested to see what your doctor says, maybe update here when you have your appointment.  
    • Posted

I was given anti inflammatories but the tendonitis continued for about 4 months, and had stopped the tablets after a few weeks.  Mine came in waves, I knew when oestrogen was low or dropping as I could feel it in my chest, shoulder and arm.  Thankfully, this symptom is much less bothersome as it was at the start.  Slight discomfort now as the hormones have settled, took a while though.  it will be interested to see what your doctor says.!
    • Posted

Ok so I'm back from my appointment. They ruled it out as being associated with heartburn and prescribed Zantac. We'll see if that helps. If not then I'll just take an ibuprofen when I feel this feeling. I tell you, the things we have to go through!
    • Edited

Wow you just described me is the pain like always your left side mine is also my left boob like right where the muscles start that goes up to the colar bone and then my shoulder gives me hell when it starts to ache it takes a few days to calm down does yours bother you on that muscle right next to your shoulder blade into the upper back I've been tryin to find relif but nothing yet my comfort is to have the grandkids massage it but that only works for a short period please help if you have answers
    • Edited

Yes you've described exactly what I feel, left boob and all. Sometimes down the side of my arm on that side.
    • Posted

hi monique.  it is agony, I know sad    It is all those muscles on your weaker side (left is mine)  and started when cycle changed.  Upper back left, neck, upper chest, side of left boob, inside of left arm, left shoulder.  It is tendonitis.  i just cut out all the usual stuff, caffeine, sugar (mostly).  It is horrible pain,  but thankfully mine has settled down.  Was agony for months on end.  I just use heat pads (put them on your upper back up to your neck because that seems to be where it all comes from.  tried acupuncture and it worked but too expensive to keep it going.  

don't know what else to tell you, it will go, but I am so glad that it has stopped for me (mostly) as it was the most awful sickening pain.  I sympathise with you, it's awful. cry

• Posted

I'm glad that I decided to ask about this. I figured it was yet another peri symptom. Of course you know once I started feeling this way it almost set off my anxiety. Ugh!
    • Posted

I have the bulge in mu arms too feeling like I got punched, I was so freaked out about it I had a chest xray because of it and I asked the dr did you see anyting in my chest xray and she said nope it looks fine. She asked why and I told her about that and said it feels like a pulled muscule in my chest and all of that and she said well I did not see anything. 
    • Posted

What did they give you? Asprin and tylenol help me a little aspirn more, but I dont want to fill up on aspirin either, I am concerned about liver issues so, interested in knowing what you did?
    • Posted

yes I had the bulge above breast under the collar bone.  they gave me anti-inflammatories but stopped taking them after a few weeks because it made NO difference.  took paracetamol for a while, had acupuncture, but stopped everything because of the cost and because got no real relief.  Just used heat pads on my upper back (over to left side) up to neck because the muscles are all connected to this one (physio told me this).  this helped a lot.   But this has become much less painful by just doing this, so I believe that it has to run its course as your hormones settle.  that's just what I think.  its AWFUL.
    • Posted

That's exactly what it feels like--like I got punched in the arm. It was so bad once that it sent me into an anxiety attack and I went to the ER thinking it was my heart. They did an EKG and ran some bloods and all came back normal. So peri has got to be the culprit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.