Odd thought

Posted , 2 users are following.

- Why does the GP tell you you should never stop your meds, you should gradually reduce them, but when they want to change them they tell you to stop taking those and start taking these???

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Good point Deaver. And, I know it's easier said than done to "hang in there" but I went through hell with Citalopram and for some reason the Mirtz really works for me - different strokes for different folks! There are so many different ones out there - surely there's one right for you. Are you seeing a counciller as well?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Been there done it I'm afraid.  Maybe I was unlucky and got unsympathetic ones but I found them no use.  There are things I would love to get off my chest but whats the point; people only hear what they want, they judge first and question later and frankly the s**t I've been through I would wish on anyone.  My beef, I'll deal with it somehow.  
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Counsellors are only human and they often just ask you to examine how you feel and work out what you think, which a smart person can do on their own without their input.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

They try to get you to think and analyse. As I said a person who is bright can do that all on their own and would hve already worked all that out if it were possible and relevant.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Deaver.A lot of people listen to every word the doctor says without question,doctors rely on it because they make lots of mistakes and often use no common sense. Once I was taking a medicine that made me very very ill with horrible side effects. Someone said to me "has the doctor given you PERMISSION to stop taking it?" as though I would wait for his permissionto stop feeling so awful.

We need to think for ourselves and use our own sense.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Totally agree, but when they use the "it can be harmful for you to just stop" tactic, not everyone is strong enough to ask questions.  I just stop cause after all, its my life isn't it?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

When I ws taking ppis for my stomach problem the doctor told me not to stop because I would continue to hve stomach problems and pains if I did. I researched it far more than he had done. If you stop you MAYBE get a stomach for a few days - but only because the stomach is not used to having a normal acid level. If you listened to the doctor you would never stop taking them because your stomach would always give out pains when it is in shock from being full of acid again. Doctors look for the easiest quickest option for THEM and this is not necessarily the best for YOU. They also do not tend to think about things long term because that is far too sensible.-
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up