oesophagitis/strictures

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi i would like to know if anyone has had same problems as me. i had bad heartburn for a while.so my doc put me on lansoprazole for a month .which helped but as soon as i stopped taking them the symtems came back so he sent me for a endoscopy which showed i had oesophagitis with strictures which means a narrowing of the oesophagus.i was put on 30mgs of lansoprazole .since then i do not feel the burning pain but i have a heavy dull pain in the middle of my cheast like i have a weight on it i get short of breath and feel like i have to puff out a lot i can not stand to wear my bra for long even if its slack.i do not feel like eating much and i feel tierd all the time .as anyone else had the same complant.regards libby

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Libby,

sorry to hear your having such problems.i too have all of the above symptoms and I have been trying to sort it out for a number of years,basically i have been told i have to live with it and lose weight. i have lost 7 stones and the doctor says that the only way i [u:7cd4e8aae2]might[/u:7cd4e8aae2] feel better is if I become waif-like and look like kylie's physique. I wish you luck in your quest for a proper diagnosis

Happy new year and good health to you hun

Debs xxxx

• Posted

hi Debs thanks for replying icould do with losing a few stones i gave up smoking last feb and have piled a few on i will give it a good go and see if it helpswish me luck .happy new year lov libby :lol:
  • Posted

Hi Libby,

I know exactly how you're feeling sad had these symptoms for 8 years and still no diagnosis. Chest pain, shortness of breath, bloating, palpitations, stomach churning, excess wind, acid taste in mouth, burning in throat/chest and feel like my bra is crushing me!!

Had barium xray, 2 gastroscopys, manometry & ph monitoring...only to find very small hiatus hernia and acid levels in 'normal' range. Have tried Pantoprazole, Nexium, Lansprazole and now Omeprazole, they don't work for very long. Diet changes didnt make much difference, although alcohol was a big trigger. Waiting for a high resolution manometry test, hopefully this may outline the problem and maybe my consultant will consider surgery. I'm only 25 and don't want the hassle of this anymore.

Last 7 months i've also had lot of joint pain, fatigue and dizziness, may be due to long term use of PPI's as they stop your body from absorbing vitamin b12 and calcium. Going to ask GP for blood test, may need b12 injections or supplements.

Best of luck with your investigations! :wink: Try 5 small meals a day, avoid alcohol and stress.

Vicky x

• Posted

hi vicky

thanks for your imput will try 5 small meals but dont feel like eating much anyway as for stress free life HOW ? living in these days thanks anyway libby xx

• Posted

Hi Libby,

You're right its hard to avoid stress, the only way I've managed is to reduce the hours I work (which then creates worry over finances!!).

I had to stop taking Omeprazole so I could be re-tested for H Plori and had some blood tests which showed i'm low in Iron. I felt quite rough at first, burning pain and bloating. Then I tried flax seeds because my aunt swears by them and said it'll ease the burning....and two weeks on and i've decided to stay off medication and just try out flax seeds for now and see what happens. I feel alot better in myself, more energy, less bloating and no aches and pains!! I hope it lasts smile

If you're interested in trying....

You can buy whole flax seeds from a health food shop, keep them refridgerated. Boil 1 tablespoon of seeds in a cup of water, allow to cool and drink morning and evening. You can keep made up drinks in fridge for day or so. This liquid will soothe the easophogus and aids digestion.

Other benefits from flax seeds are:

High source of Omega 3 & 6 and fibre

Speeds up metabolism to help weight loss

Good for skin conditions, acne and hair growth

Lowers cholesterol and blood pressure

Prevents heart problems and cancers

Hope this helps :D

Vicky x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.