Off and on Citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, i've been on and off Citalopram (20mg) since around 2008. for the first i'd say 4-5 years i stuck to taking it everyday. then the tiredness got to me and the thoughts of "maybe i'm ok now" come along and i started going throught patches of taking and then not taking it. Also for the last few years stuck to 10mg

last year i mostly went without taking it but had a really bad end to the year. This year started taking 10mg every day. still constant thinking every day but not hugely anxious or depressed, just the feeling down (feeling everything turns bad etc) once in awhile. then i decided to up to 20mg and my head just went crazy, i just couldn't control my thoughts, feeling panicky etc. thinking stupid things, being hugely melodramatic etc i stopped taking it altogether the next day i felt normal again. still with chatterbox but i didn't feel everything was turning to crap.

I confessed to the doctor who put me back on 10mg for a months and the up to 20mg. that started 12 weeks ago but just doesn't seem to be helping that much i've been panicky and depressed, the head chatter has been really bad anytime i try to enjoy watching films or tv.

Apologies for the long post. my question is could the stopping and starting have effected my brain permanently? could i just need a larger dose or could i need to try another SSRI?

Thanks for any help

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey man I'm a newbie to ssri have you had.therapy as well? Citalopram has done me a tonne of good but some people might respond better to a different med maybe. We are all different . Why don't you discuss changing with your doctor??the general advic IV recieved is persevere but 4-5 years everyday is persevering .

I hope it all goes well and you find your answers

• Posted

Yeah i've been doing CBT therapy for a couple of months.

I'm trying to speak to a doctor but i've been told the next appointment isn't untill 9 Aug!

Thanks for your reply

• Posted

i've been back on citalopram for the last 13 weeks but only in the last 5 or 6 days does it seem to be helping. If i start to feel anxious i sit with it until it's gone instead of looking to distract myself. i'm letting thoughts pass easily, the chatter is a lot less and i'm even starting to get a good nights sleep.

BUT my big problem at the moment is with relaxing "being in the moment" whilst watching films or tv is still a problem. i just can't seem to relax for a long (20m, 30m, 1hour) period of time. i just can't switch off. is it just anxiety that will pass on it's own or something i've got to work through? it's been happening for  3 or so months. Frustrating as hell. my head just checks to see if i'm relaxed, i'm i into this etc

Is the Cit/could the Cit be working now and it's only a matter of time until i get back to "normal"? i just don't know.

any tips? have you heard of people with similar problems?

• Posted

Hello  Wolfshark if the medicine worked for you previously it should work again for you. I have been on 20mg since February and I still get a few bad days here and there. But as each month passes my bad days get easier and easier. As long as you are seeing progress I would say stick to it. I also think once we have been on the medication prior it takes longer to feel the same effects once we stop because it was so built up in our system.  Try not to think about being on the medicine and just let it do it's work. Also Katecogs is a big help if you find her she can give great advice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.