Off Citalopram for 5 weeks and going crazy with aches and pains. Was on med for over 2 years since

Posted , 5 users are following.

Was on med for over 2 years following my husband's diagnosis of uncurable cancer and subsequent death 15 months ago.  I was on 30mg at the most and then been tapering in down since May and finally stopped around December.  Thought I was winning at first, but then the moodswings, crying etc started.  Was told by councillor that to deal with my grief it was advisable to come off the med.  Understand this completely as I felt that I had a lot of emotions which would not surface whilst dulled by drugs.  My worst problem is the terrible nerve/muscle pains that appear at randon, mainly in my jaw/face and my shoulders and arms.  One minute I am beside myself with pain, the next it has gone or moved somewhere else.  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Inga..I too have been off cit since October and I  still get withdrawal symptoms ..crying ,irritability depress ion...though not the pain...I guess we all get different withdrawal symptoms

These pills are hard to get out of your system 

• Posted

Hello Inga, firstly i am sorry about your husbands death, it must be so hard to have dealt with his diagnosis and looking after him. 15 months is not a long time to deal with grief, there is no time limit on greiving and there are several stages. I am not a Dr so cannot not say for sure but these pains could be due to anxiety or you tensing your body without realising it. I have nerve pain but mine is due to a specific condition. My advice would be to see your GP to put your mind at rest. I am sure it's nothing to worry about. 

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Inga

Im so sorry of your loss.  Its very difficult to go through loss and grief.

I lost both my parents within weeks of each other 6 years ago whilst I was taking Citalopram, and luckily it didn't stop me grieving.  I think I cried every day for about a year.  I know what you mean though, this meds does dampen the emotions and I would have it better if you had reduced your meds and stayed on that for a long time before reducing again.  Being on a lower dose allows you to have more emotions whilst still maintaining to keep you well.

I came off Citalopram a year ago and found I was blubbering at the silliest thing.  I never had pain and spasms but those are definitely withdrawl effects.  They will ease in time, but of course not pleasant for you at the moment.  Maybe your doctor could prescribe a muscle relaxant for the time being?

I restarted Citalopram in August due to family illness, as I needed to be strong as a carer.  I wanted to make sure I didn't slip into a dark hole because of the upset and stress, so took action before it happened.

K xx

• Posted

Typo ...... should have said 'would have thought it better if you had reduced the meds' ........ :-)
  • Posted

Hi Inga I would love to say something positive to you but I am in the same boat as you but I am just about a year behind you. My husband suffered several illnesses including a heart bypass then diagnosed with bone marrow cancer. Again I cared for him and worked full time and just kept going. We were told 9 - 18 months he passed away just on the nine months July 2014. I managed for about 6 weeksthen got put on cit, i am really struggling but it is reassuring that you have managed to come off the medication but I am sorry that you have been suffering since. I have not experienced any physical pains but mentally I am finding it very difficult. I hope you find peace. Tina x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.