Off mirt for 12 nights

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I stopped mirt 12 nights ago. I am undergoing extreme anxiety. My sleep is ok. I am taking melatonin and Benadryl at night to offset symptoms. Anyone else currently d/c this drug? BTW I was on 15mg for 4 months. Good for sleep but I gained 40 lbs. I started skipping doses, then tapered over the course of 2 weeks. Hopefully, I am spared the extreme withdrawl that others have posted. I am anxiously approaching the 2 week mark which seems to be another hurdle experienced by others in the withdrawl process. I will continue to post in hopes someone may be helped on this journey. Blessings.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gretel, I am currently withdrawing from mirtazipine. I was taking 15 mg for about a year for chronic sleep problems. I decided to go cold turkey, foolishly! My problem is I can’t take anything else to help with insomnia as I get horrendous problems with restless leg syndrome which is why I stopped the mirt in the first place. I can’t sleep more than an hour and a half at a time. I stopped about three weeks ago and apart from chronic tiredness, I have no other side effects now. I am intrigued about the weight gain that everyone seems to talk about! I didn’t gain anything thankfully. This is a hard road to tread, I just wish someone would knock me out with a hammer so I could get some restful sleep!
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

Glad I found another out there! I have that restless leg thing, also. My sleep is poor, I wake up every hour. I was prescribed for insomnia. I am just grateful that I dont have some off the more intense d/c effects. Thanks for responding, and keep me posted to your progress. I am sure more people will come along and find this info beneficial. Take care.

• Posted

Hi All,

17 days off mirt. Trying to remain positive and remember that what I am feeling is withdrawl. Today is teary and I feel as if I dont know who I am. Nights are hard. I feel like I want to jump out of my skin. I am grateful for my support system. Nausea pretty bad, and none of my 40 lbs have left, although all I have done is eat salads for 2 weeks. I will start walking when I feel better. Anxiety pretty intense. Hope everyone is faring well. You are in my thoughts. Be strong.

• Posted

Hang in there. It is horrible isn’t it? My only problem now is I don’t sleep for longer than an hour and a half. It also takes me a couple of hours to actually get to sleep, so I am like a zombie during the day. I am determined to carry on though. Stay strong
    • Posted

Hey Jane,

I have been using an aromatherapy oil warmer in my room, along with earplugs and plenty of blankets. About 2 hours before bed i start to dim lights. And at first yawn I run to bed. Hopefully, I am the first one there! Lol. Hubby snores. I dont know if you have tried any of these. I also like the tv on almost silent, but i put a movie in that i have seen 100 times. Sometimes it will bore me to sleep when i wake in the night. Thankyou for the encouragement.

• Posted

Hi Gretel, I have ear plugs, black out blinds, aromatherapy pillows and sprays and have also tried CBT, (cognitive behavioural therapy) none of which helps. This was the reason I was on mirtazipine as I have had sleep problems for years. I feel another visit to my GP coming on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.