OK ladies now I do feel crazy!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to my go last week for my monthly blood work for thyroid. I ask him if he would check hormone. Results came back normal I have had so many symptoms of Peri.. Now I'm thinking is there something wrong with me.Also is there anyone out there with under active thyroid? Mycount was slightly higher this time it was 2.75. I know this sounds silly I know that is not very high considering what it was when I was diagnosed. And I am on medication. But can that still cause you to have symptoms of under active thyroid ?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I asked my doctors several times to run blood tests for my hormone levels and have always been told it's a waste of time as it's impossible to get a accurate reading as hormones fluctuate through out the day ?
    • Posted

Thank you cazjaz. Its rough being a female sometimes. Lol
  • Posted

Hi donna

the FSH (follicle stimulating hormone ) blood test, is a waste of time in early peri, hormones too erractic .. 

Not until your periods decline to 3-4 per year will the blood test say in menopausal stages.. Happened to me..

12-14 months no periods = post menopause following peri menopause 

Mind you if you take HRT or birth control again not accurate test

doesnt mean your not in peri 

I too have just had TSH thyroid re tested as on the under active side

was last 3.61 .. so been re tested ( not on meds but was taking kelp ) so had to keep off all vits and supplements for 3 weeks to get an accurate near natural thyroid state.. Waiting results ..

jay x

• Posted

Hi, I know with blood test for peri- hormones fluctuate so much that difficult to get a proper diagnosis with this.  I went 2 years ago with same sypmtoms i have now, was 48 then, i am 50 with periods all over the place and went the other week feeling exactly the same, only difference i had a 10 day period! deep joy.....and my GP managed to nail the flutuations and confirmed that i am peri.   I went to see GP 10 years ago and she said that 10 year slide as things were going slightly haywire then.  So you most probably are peri.  Some women dont notice, i have a friend same age as me who has had nothing, just a few hot flushes, she has now gone year and a half without periods.  Lucky bugger! 
  • Posted

Hi Donna I've just gone through the last 2 years with no periods and so many different menopausal symptoms. Also my symptoms were crossing over with hypo thyroid do I asked my GP to test me and my TSH was 7.9. Also free T4 was 11.6 so I am now on a low dose of levothyroxine which is just starting to help a lite. It's best to have regular thyroid tests as once in menopause you hormone readings can change quite rapidly. Take care
    • Posted

Hi Gizmo

So true.. I am 19 months post meno

& same thing.. border line underactive.. Will know more in few days when re test back of TSH, T4 and T3 ..

Hope you soon feel better on meds

Jay x

• Posted

Thanks Jay. Please let me know what your results are. I've just had another blood test today so results I guess will be back early next week. Yes they called it borderline but as I have so many symptoms they decided to begin treating me. Early days yet though xx
    • Posted

frownYou are very welcome Donna and yes, it's a pain in the backside being a woman once you become 40+ 
  • Posted

Yes you can still have symptoms of underactive thyroid. When I went into post menopause my throid went high to a .50 which is overactive my thyroid doctor put down the dose to 88mcg but you have to have everything checked with your thyroid you T3 T4 TO see if they balance out and you adrenal and pituatary glands also. My doctor does not do this and I suffer a lot 
    • Posted

hi susan 

get another doctor ..

i been feeling awful lately..

just picked up my results ..

i have Vit D deficiency

Vit B12 low 

underactive thyroid ( borderline)

and worst of all Blood Glucose Low Low Low just 66 

which explains my constant hot flushes, sweating, no energy, aches, and constant hunger pains 

doctors is it then 

jay x

• Posted

Susan what are your symptoms? Do you ever retain fluid in leg and ankle?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.