Olanzapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Iv suffered from depression for over 20 years.in 2000 I was put on olanzapine  without being told what could happen I gained 3 stone and having been anorexic as a teenager this was devastating for me.i only realised in 2007 that the drug had been responsible for the weight gain.i know it's a few years ago but I can't let it go.my mood is not helped by the way I feel about this .i haven't lost the weight I gained but I have tried.the very nature of the drugs we take makes it difficult.im now on mitrazapine which I was put on 11 weeks ago.it has lifted my mood but I'm terrified of putting on weight.if I do then that will be the finish of me I couldn't coupe.has anyone else had similar experiences ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes I know what you mean, what I do is take some herbal tablets, Slimfast and more or less on the Hay diet. Now you have the problem, I find dieting leads to depression and all people can say is, buck up on both counts, there doesnt seem to be an answer. I no longer eat meat and a lot of my meals are spinach and brown rice for my main meal and slimfast (the Asda alternative its cheaper) for my other meals. Best of luck, I am with you, and we are not alone.
  • Posted

I'm on mirtrazapine and was scared of the weight gain as I too have had an eating disorder, however I've big found much of an appetite increase and haven't put on weight smile
    • Posted

I'm on mitrazapine now as we'll and I'm relieved to say. I haven't had any appetite or weight problems with it
  • Posted

Yes my son similar to you was put on Olanzapine15mg plus the diazepam 15mg addicted for 20 years. He gained weight. He had stopped alcohol Then the psychiatrist (bright spark) decided to make sure he stayed well and put him up to 20mg he now has no energy, motivation and sleeps most days and nights! They then tell him he needs exercise.....when you can't get out of bed? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.