Oldest age for menopause

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi lady's, I've read that the average age is 51, can I ask what the oldest age for menopause, not peri but the real thing.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm still having regular monthly periods at age 57. So I guess I'm looking at menopause in a year or two as need to be period free for a year to be in menopause stage.
  • Posted

My aunt was still going and having to take birth control at 65.

She looked so young for her age a lovely figure smooth skin.

After she finished (not sure what age) she aged the most rapidly I've ever seen in anyone and I'd say looked older than other aunts of a similar age.

• Posted

Are peri symptoms more severe if menopause is later in life or does it not make any difference?
    • Posted

I don't know, only experience I have is with others my age, they have had varying degrees of it. Some not many symptoms at all.

My sister in law was all done by 40 and all she had was an end of her periods.

Now she's the same age as me and has lost a lot of weight (she was quite a big girl anyway) and doesn't look particularly old for her age.

Another of my friends who I thought had coped well with it tells she had a hard time with it. I wouldn't have guessed though because she always looks impeccable and I've never heard her complain about the typical meno symptoms but she said recently she felt depressed suicidal and is still suffering and wondering if she should try another type of HRT as the one she tried didn't agree with her.

• Posted

If severe peri symptoms, night sweats, irritability, mood swings, longer / shorter cycle happend later in life, at the age of 51, would that indicate that the real thing, menopause would happen later?
    • Posted

I've read a lot about it on these forums, some women have a few years of it, others 15 or more.

I didn't know mine was peri until I read on this and other sites about women with the same symptoms, mine was all put down to depression. I pleaded with doctors that what I had was a physical ailment and was told that's what depression does.

I still had most symptoms after when I was post anyway and then others too.

Everyone is different. I asked my mum what hers was like and she thought about it for a while and said 'if anything I suppose I was a bit warmer'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.