omeprazole get off it fast!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Okay where to begin I have suffered from acid reflux on and of for years it started about 8 years ago when I came back from holiday feeling unwell which was due to stress and money worries more than anything else, so I went to the doctor who in his wisdow put me on omeprazole! now I must state that I never had or ever really suffered from acid refux or much indegestion apart from the normal saturday night sunday morning! So after a few months I started to feel better as I got alot of my money worries out the way and ended a relationshipwhich wasn't working so decided to stop the omeprazole as I didn't really see the point of taking it.  I was fine for a few days then started getting horrendous indegestion and heart burn like I've never felt before so went to the doctor who in his wisdom said you need to take a higher dose of omeprazole which worked and after a few months felt better so decided to try and come of it again, which was fine for a few days then same as last time the acid reflux came back and even worse 10 fold. So there lies the problem with this stuff it doesn't actually cure you but just hides the problem which in my opinion makes it highly addictive, because as soon as you come of it the acid reflux comes back even worse, so you need to keep using it which is a great money spinner when you come to think of it! And the fact that some doctors are giving this stuff out like candy to patients is a disgrace! So I can't state this enough I never had any acid reflux until I took this stuff so be warned!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

We have only discovered in the past few years that this happens. The same happened to me. It's certainly not bad to take it, and often it's necessary. When taking this drug, acid is supressed, and when you stop taking the drug, you will get a lot of acid. You shouldn't just suddenly stop taking this drug, if you ween yourself off slowly, by reducing your doses, you will get little to no symptoms. Your GP should have told you this. This drug is not just used for acid reflux (ranitidine is normally prescribed for this problem) but it DOES cure gastroenteritis, which is what I had it for. It's certainly not just 'a money spinner'
  • Posted

Please subscribers, use this forum responsibly and not scare people with inappropriate headlines. Whilst caution should be used when taking omeprazole for some of us it is a life-saving drug. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience Stevie but we're all different. 20 years ago I had an endoscopy which showed 50% of my oesophagus was ulcerated, a severely inflamed stomach and duodenal ulcers. I was put on omerprazole(plus antibiotics for the ulcers as I had h pylori), and had a follow up endoscopy some time later. My oesophagus, stomach and duodenum was clear. Unfortunately I do now have Barretts Oesphagus and having a mother who had oesophageal cancer, I am in a considerably higher risk group of contracting it myself. Omeprazole may well have saved my life.
    • Posted

This is exactly what happened with me! I agree, it is a curative drug, and just because you didn't have a good experience, you shouldn't put people off who need it for extremely severe stomach issues. 
  • Posted

I had horrendous side effects from the drug. I took H2 blockers instead. But my answer was to have the Nisson operation because the reason for my reflux was a hiatus hernia. Perhaps you should be checked out Stevie? smile 
  • Posted

I too suffered with excessive acid and was prescribed Omeprazole. When I tried stopping it the acidity returned. I was then told by a friend that I should try Probio 7 to support the stomach rather than suppressing the acid. However instead of Probio 7 I bought another similar product called Bio Kult Candea (about £15 for 30 days worth). This is a probiotic  which also has Garlic and Grapeseed extract which are also very supportive of the digestive system. I took these capsules for 30 days. After three weeks without taking any more I am still fine with no return of the acidity. You do not necessarily have to keep taking them but can just take course to settle down the system. This may not work for everyone but as it was my first problem with digestive acid they were very effective. I have also been told that if you are going abroad to areas where tummy troubles are rife, it pays to take them a week before you go and all the time you are out of the country to help prevent dodgy tummy.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up