Omerprazole long term use

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I’ve had a nauseous feeling for several months and then the doctor put me on PPI’s. Acid reflux  seemed to go away for a month or two and now it’s kind of creeping back...  I’m on 20 mg and I was just wondering if there’s anybody out there that are on a higher dose to help get rid of the feeling. ( Almost like a real hunger pain until I eat and it kind of goes away so not necessarily super nauseous, just a weird hunger feeling) I had an Endoscopy  the other day and I failed to mention , still feeling nauseous to my doctor. Silly me asked him questions like what vitamin should I be taking, 

I kick myself for not asking him about still feeling nauseous.  Matt

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was initially on 15mg on Lanzoprozole (an alternative to the one you are on) had to increase the dose to 30mg and that works for me, been on it for about 10 years now and very happy as I hardly suffer at all 

• Posted

Did you have a nauseous feeling ?

I had that feeling for 2 months , started 20 mg omerprazole then   I did not have it and now I’m starting to have it again. I asked my doctor today if I should increase my dose and he told me no.  Makes me think that he wants me to have nasous forever..

• Posted

I’ve been on 40mg for almost a month now so I’m sorry I can’t be of much help with your question. My RO hasn’t caused nausea. However, if I may please piggyback off your question and ask you my own: have you experienced pain when swallowing food? For the past few days I have an annoying pain in my upper back when swallowing. Very frustrating. 
    • Posted

Sometimes GERD can cause problems in your throat. It can make you feel like you have a lump in your throat or like you always have to clear your throat. It can also cause hoarseness. ... It can cause you to have a sore throat or to have trouble swallowing.S
  • Posted

Matt,  I know a lot of people that do 20mg 2 times a day but you have to remember that all PPI's have long term side effects.  I am not sure where you are at but I know here in Pittsburgh PA there is a new type of surgery that is helping a lot of people, me being one of them.  I am 32 but started having reflux when I was 17.  it was about 2 years ago I read something in the paper about this Linx procedure and after looking into it I was determined that the Linx was the only thing could help me.  There is some pretesting that needs done before hand and after I did the testing they told me I was the perfect candidate to have it done.  It's been about 18 months since I have had the surgery and have not had to take any PPI's since and starting day 1 its effective.  Please do you and your body a favor and look into the procedure.  It changed my life. 

• Posted

What long term side effects? 

I have been taking a high dose PPI for 10 years now and no problems. 

Cars kill and injure people every day but we don't stop driving them. They are way more dangerous than the humble PPI 

• Posted

Do the research.  Long term use, hip issues, brittle bones and some studies even cancer.  It's a band aid.  Your not fixing the issue that's causing it.

• Posted

I Actually looked it up and watched a video on the procedure. Pretty impressive. I definitely saved it and I will bring it up with my G.I. thanks
    • Posted

Hey Matt I realized there's a lot of words that were misspelled because I'm using voice messaging. They make five or six small incisions in your stomach area and really the only thing that hurts is when they had to fill you up with air to do the procedure. It hurts for about 3 Days To a week and then after that you're perfectly fine.

• Posted

Headaches are one of the side effects but long term use has been related to risk of stroke risk.
    • Posted

No headaches. 

So there is a stroke risk.  There is an even bigger risk of being killed in my car but does anyone get anxiety about going out in a car, NO!!! 

I want to lead a normal life and refusing to take some pill because something might happen is so out of proportion. You can suffer while I am free from discomfort. 

Check out the stats for how many people are killed and injured in cars, then compare it to the risks of a PPI.  Your choice, but I know what mine is. 

• Posted

I have had the same symptoms and was put on 40mg. 1x day Of omeprazole. The thing that works best is the diet. Small meals more frequently. I cut out tomato products, spicy food, and all caffeine. Do not allow yourself to skip any meals as the reflux hits with a vengeance. If I do eat any of the above I take a pepsid before dinner, that does help! Indies get easier and better! Good luck
    • Posted

i had the bad nausea Matt with it and then the feeling of a burp which when came up the nausea went.  My nausea always went by tea time as well never in the evening.  I think it is related to excess acid in the stomach.  I came off the PPI as it was causing headaches.  I took Zantac it all went but has come back again.  I go for endoscopy in ten days time, I’m thinking I have a hiatus hernia,
    • Posted

Just wondering if any foods don’t agree with you.  I cut out Brazil nuts and a  vitamin d supplement and today so much less burping.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.