Omerprazole long term use

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I’ve had a nauseous feeling for several months and then the doctor put me on PPI’s. Acid reflux  seemed to go away for a month or two and now it’s kind of creeping back...  I’m on 20 mg and I was just wondering if there’s anybody out there that are on a higher dose to help get rid of the feeling. ( Almost like a real hunger pain until I eat and it kind of goes away so not necessarily super nauseous, just a weird hunger feeling) I had an Endoscopy  the other day and I failed to mention , still feeling nauseous to my doctor. Silly me asked him questions like what vitamin should I be taking, 

I kick myself for not asking him about still feeling nauseous.  Matt

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i was put on 60 a day for a month,dropping to 30 for the next two months following to 15 as maintainance.
  • Posted

It’s good your endoscopy was ok.  I got told the hunger feeling like a grinding in there that feels like hunger is the acid.  Look at your diet a bit as well.  Some things are maybe setting it off.  I found nuts seem to do it for me don’t know why.  
  • Posted

Hi Matt, I'm on 20mg twice a day, but I still have flare ups if I eat the wrong foods or have one too many glasses of wine. Also atm suffering with the nausea, and yes it feels like hunger pangs, and feel the need to eat.......so I'm thinking it's a flare of the reflux, I've been on Omeprazol for aboat 20 years, the doctor is atm telling me I need to stop taking them, because they should only be used short term !!!

• Posted

Hey i thought i would chime in but your dr is right. These meds are no joke and will do more harm than good to your body. I was the same way and found a procedure called the Linx device. All i can say is i had the surgery done about 18 months ago and in that 18 months i havent taken any PPI meds. Maybe a tum here but best decision i ever made for myself. Please do yourself and body a favor and look into the Linx surgery.
    • Posted

What side effects have you experienced from not omeprazole and 20 years ?

Just curious because I feel I’m going to need to be on them for a while and I’ve been having anxiety about organ damage and bone fractures. 

You’re the first person I’ve spoken with who had been on them for that long so any details on side effects would be greatly appreciated..

Also want to piggyback from Jason’s message about the links procedure. I’ve really been looking into that and the next time I go for a doctor visit I’m certainly going to mention it. But I’m also thinking of switching G.I. doctors. Because he does not give any information unless you physically ask him and he seems to get upset when I bring a piece of paper in with my questions... He couldn’t even tell me what I should be eating. I had to do my own research. 

• Posted

I have been on PPI for over 10 years and no side effects. 

We do damage to our bodies every day, walking, stress etc. We drive in cars which are very,very dangerous and kill people. I lead a normal life thanks to these wonderful pills, please continue to suffer while I lead a happy life. best of luck. 

• Posted

The reason they get upset is because they have no answer for the questions.  I was on the pill for about 13 years and in those 13 years I broke more bones than I did when I was younger and really active.  It's from those pills.  Since I have been off those pills for about 18 months I feel better, I am not waking up coughing and my hip hasn't really caused me any issue.  People think that these pills are amazing and I did too until I did my research.  With these pills you think that your not getting acid coming up when in fact that is far from being true.  These pills cut down the acidity and that's why you don't feel it coming up but many people don't understand your still doing damage to your esophagus because acid is still coming up.  I have many family and friends that are no longer on the pill because I have told them about this procedure and I want to get the word out that PPI meds are doing more bad than good.  You feel like your doing better but your still hurting yourself.  I was on PPI's until the day before my surgery and that was the last time I needed any.

• Posted

In this country the procedure is not readily available. There is no guarantee it will stop the reflux either.  Just because the pills caused you problems doesn't mean they will do the same for everyone else. 

PPI are not doing more bad than good, its just your theory its not proof. I can tell you what is proof, don't get in a car, they are dangerous and kill people. Oh but I bet you do go in cars and don't give it a second thought. 

• Posted

Exactly because I know what cars can do.   I myself have control of cars.  You have no control of these meds and what they can do to you.  Any DR that has a lick of common sense will tell you meds are not the answer to fix reflux.  It's a band aid that's all it is.  Study after study explains these pills cause damage.  Here are a few links of the long term effects of these meds.

http://www.gastro.org/info_for_patients/gerd-107-long-term-use-of-proton-pump-inhibitors-ppis

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/proton-pump-inhibitors-considerations-with-longterm-use

https://www.medicinenet.com/proton-pump_inhibitors/article.htm

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/02/15/465279217/popular-heartburn-pills-can-be-hard-to-stop-and-may-be-risky

These are only a few of the links. There are many many more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.