Omperazole treatment

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed last year with a Hiatus hernia and acid reflux. I was put on a ppi (lanzoprazol 30mg) for about 6 months then my symptoms came back so was changed to omperazole 40mg. After visiting the doctor last week he said I should go to a lower dose of 20mg and then 40mg as and when. After 4 days of being on 20mg my symptoms have come back! I'm now unsure if this is a relapse or whether I should take a 40mg every few days instead? Any ideas? Thank you. Ian

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi i take omperazole 20Mg mine was great for 9 days and the doctor said they might need to put me on 40Mg but that was over a month ago not gone back since. 

But if i was you i would go on 40Mg Have you changed your diet at all ? i find some foods make mine worse,

• Posted

Hi John. Are you on 40mg at the moment? I had a korma last night with nann bread but thought it would be ok as it's creamy and mild. I'm 33 and don't think the doctor wants me to be on 40mg every day, he also said that surgery wasn't an option either!! Just don't know what to do for the best.
    • Posted

I am 55 on 20Mg not gone to 40Mg yet but i know loads that are and have been for years.

My problem started 8 years ago waking up choking and then clering my troat. But i also stopped smoking last october for 11 days and when i started again it was 90% worse and been on 20Mg for a few months.

Had camera up my nose to check my throat said it was all ok. But mine can be ok for 10 days then just start again and last a week or more.

I don'e eat cheese / biscuits / serial / or red meat plus lot's more but can't think of them all, but i am sick of it and when it's bad it almost makes me have a panic attack.

• Posted

I know John it's such an awful thing to have however pleased to hear the meds are doing the job and controlling the symptoms. Being on 20mg I suppose should it start again then your dose can always be increased?
    • Posted

I've been on PPI's for 15 years and they are supposed to be for short term use. My GP thinks they are allright even on a high dose and my previous GP took them himself.

Last year and again the other week there were reports that users are a third more likely to suffer a heart attack.You can Google for it.

As though all their other side effects were not bad enough:-)

• Posted

That's not good to hear at all re: heart attack. My GP is on ppis too although a normal dose 5 times a week, so they can't be that bad??
    • Posted

I still have problems some days, but i might start taking 40Mg to see if it stops it.

But if i was you i would try 40Mg if it's really bad.

• Posted

One hopes not but have you read the full list of side effects with the leaflet?
    • Posted

I am not telling you what to do but has no one told you one of the commonest culprits in reflux is smoking. I know it's very hard for some people to stop smoking.Its such a powerful drug.
    • Posted

Hi yes i was told about smoking but i have smoked for over 40 years and it's really hard to stop.
    • Posted

You can do it. I stopped in 1993 after being a 20 a day smoker for 43 years.

Work out your annual saving and think what you can do with the money.

I put it away every week.  After nine months I used it for a holiday in Hong Kong and China. Then we went on Safari in Zimbabwe and Botswana.

Or add it to your pension scheme payments to enjoy the extra years you will live.

• Posted

I am exactly the same as you but on Lanzoprozole. I started out at 15mg but like you my symptoms would return. My GP reluctantly put me on 30mg and symptoms went away. We have tried many times to reduce to 15mg but with no luck. Now I stay on 30mg, my GP is happy with me on that dose and sometimes I have to bump it up to 45mg

I suspect you will need the larger dose. They just prefer to keep you on the lowest dose 

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Can I ask do you take the 45mg dose often or do you take it when symptoms get worse? My thinking was to maybe try doing three days 20mg and then one day 40mg then back to 20 see if that worked? My doctor seems like yours reluctant to put me on a higher dose but when I need it, I need it!
    • Posted

My regular dose for my PPI is 30mg. which is double the normal dose of 15mg. I take the 30mg 30mins before breakfast (do you do that as they reckon its the best way to make it effective for the day)  if I have a bad day I will take another 15mg around tea time but I only take 1 tablet to relieve the symptoms. 

In your case here is what I would try. Keep a diary. Start with 20mg, if that doesn't work, go to 20mg for that day. Start the next day at 20mg and again only take the extra 20mg if you need it. With a diary you can show your GP which dose works for you.  I suspect you may have to take 40mg a day. You can take a lot more so dont worry about 40mg, many people take this dose and even higher ones on a regular basis

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and advice it's really helpful. Being only 33 I didn't want to have to go to 40mg and then before you know it I'm on ultra high doses! My plan is to do 20 for 3 days then 40 for one then 20 see how that goes.
    • Posted

I bump my dose up with my GP's blessing but there can be a rebound from it. Gaviscon does not do much for me but I find that Bisodol tablets offer quick relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.