Omperazole treatment

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed last year with a Hiatus hernia and acid reflux. I was put on a ppi (lanzoprazol 30mg) for about 6 months then my symptoms came back so was changed to omperazole 40mg. After visiting the doctor last week he said I should go to a lower dose of 20mg and then 40mg as and when. After 4 days of being on 20mg my symptoms have come back! I'm now unsure if this is a relapse or whether I should take a 40mg every few days instead? Any ideas? Thank you. Ian

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, after 10 years ish on omeprazole I changed over to Nexium, they are a bit more effective but after an endoscopy the consultant put me up to 40mg as I had gastritis. Wednesday next week I have FUNDIPLICATION operation to fix my hiatus hernia and reflux for good so hopefully no more ppi meds for me.
    • Posted

I hope all goes well for you Mag with your op. It seems that it has very good success rates for acid reflux and HH repair. My doctor doesn't want me to have this yet but will see after my next endoscopy. I just thought that 40mg is quite high?
    • Posted

Are you in the UK? GP's usually prescribe the generic version that is much cheaper. Personally I found Nexium much more effective.
    • Posted

Hi Derek. Yes I'm in the UK and with the Nexium I actually bought over the counter before getting it on prescription. I find the generic one not as effective although more effective than omeprazole , so when I went on a holiday last year I brought over the counter Nexium with me as I knew I would have less symptoms. But they are very costly to buy all the time..
    • Posted

Hi Ian, I think 40 is quite high too and as I am so depending on them now long term it's really not good, also taking ranitadine and copious amounts of gaviscon at the age of 46 I think surgery is now my only option to stop taking meds..
    • Posted

I have heard some people have been on 80mg for quite a while too. I'm only 33 and don't really want to rely on medication however my doctor has said that surgery isn't an option and to stay on the meds. I don't know if this helps but I've got omperazole in 20mg and I'm taking a 40mg every few days and then 20mg every other. For me it's better than taking 40 every single day!
    • Posted

With so many generic versions Nexium sales must be well down. Why do they not reduce the price? They made their money from it while they had the sole rights.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.