On 15mg not doing anything, to soon?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I started on 15mg of Mirt a week ago, apart from feeling dizzy right at the start which has wore off now I dont feel any different. I still feel so low. I'm taking 7.5mg of Zopliclone with it at night and I'm still not sleeping. I just wake up, go to sleep, wake up etc.. I even had a endoscopy yesterday unrelated, and the sedation didn't touch me, it's like my body just doesn't wanna be sedated.

I'm currently under Crisis team. I keep telling them but they keep saying give it time. I can't take much More. I want to sleep, I want my anxiety to settle. Is it to soon?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Emma,

You should start getting help with sleep soon if you've been taking it a week, as for helping with depression or anxiety that usually takes the standard 4-6 weeks to take affect but as you know by now everyone is different on how they react to these medications. Hope things start to get better for you soon!!

• Posted

Hi Emma - any medication takes time to work, and it is different for everyone. If you are not feeling the effects in the next couple of weeks talke to your health care professional about this. I also think you may be anxious about it working which may inhibit its efficacy - try and relax about it. Deep breathing exercises, in through the nose, hold it for a few seconds, out through the mouth, focus only on your breathing. Another technique I have perfected as i am in bed trying to sleep is to list all the countries I can remember in the world in alphabetical order. Your list will grow as you realise there are more countries than we can remember, and it is rare that i will get through to Z (Zimbabwe) without falling asleep. Don't stress, roll with it, and give the meds time to work. Best of luck to you and we are always here to talk to.

• Posted

Hi Emma

I agree with the others a week is not enough time for your meds to really work, it's sounds to me that you are fighting against your meds and sleep, as much as u want to sleep u won't unless u try and chill out in bed, there have been times wen iv seem to be in a fight against sleep and not sleeped at all.

Iv been on mirt since October last year, so not long, and I'm on 15g, which does help with my sleep but not with my depression, iv been told you need to go up to 30g for it to help depression, which I have tried but the higher does stopped me from sleeping, so now I stick at 15g as I def need the sleep, I'm going bk to docs to see if I can stay on mirt for sleep and get some thing eles for depression, but as we all say each one of us are different to how the tablets work, what works for one may not for another, but do speak to your doc is u are still worried, but u do need to give it time, as for you and havin a endoscopy iv had a few of these in my life and none of the sedition as worked for me, god knows why, but it just don't , so please don't worry about that and that there's some thing wrong..

I really feel for you, at such a young age facing this, but your not a loan bless you, keep talking and let's hope your meds kick in soon..

Lots of hugs for you, keep in touch 😀

• Posted

Hi Dawn.  I find myself like you on mirtazapine but can only tolerate low dose. Not touching the depression, i need something else for that but havent found it yet, please let me know when you go back to dr what they say/do.  They gave me diazepam for anxiety which just makes me feel crazy. I am now starting to isolate myself as i feel so bad, ibs daily and cant get out of chair.  Hope we find something to work.
    • Posted

Hi Ann

Yeah I'm back to docs next Thursday, and see what he as to say, I don't want to come of mirt as this is helping me sleep at the moment, so hoping there's some thing I can get for depression, but I will def let u know what he says and if he will give me some thing to help, fingers crossed, but just hard talking to a doc as I just sit there crying as feel so low, and then I feel stupid that iv cryed in front of some one, as I remember one doc saying to me ' ur fine, get out more' and laughing at me, depression is a horrid thing to deal with, your mind is a very powerful thing, I do hope you find some thing to help you, good luck and keep in touch I will let u know how things go...

Take care 😀

• Posted

I have been  doing some research on new anti deps and i feel i would like my dr to prescribe trintillex or valdoxan.   They are getting good reviews.it will be interesting to see iey will give them. Two weeks till my appt. look forward to your news 
  • Posted

Hi Emma, yes i am also on mirtaxz for sleep,  but been on it two years so give it time.  I also had endoscopy negative, all anxiety they say.i was scared of having it .  Also zopiclone was given to me but i find 5mg diazepam at bedtime is better as it relaxes me during night.   I am only allowed a small amount as they dont like to give it out.

you will get better from this, look as all,the positivemthings people say, meditation, mindfulness,relaxation exercises etc.  Its so hard when anxiety is very high. Time will help

• Posted

I'm doing everything I can. I'm relaxed. I just can't afford to wait a couple of weeks. I'm only taking it cause it can cause weight gain otherwise I wouldn't bother.

• Posted

Hi I have been on mirtazapine for 2 years and am currently coming off the drug. I have had all three doses and I must say I hate the drug. It has not helped with sleep and I just wake up all night and have horrible lucid dreams and nightmares. I have also been prescribed the zopiclone and that has also not helped my sleep. I would try and come off the mirtazapine whilst you can. Maybe I am biased because I've had such a bad experience with it, but I can only give you my opinion smile I am sure they could put you on a better drug to help with your anxiety and insomnia. Hope you manage to sort it out soon.

• Posted

Hi Emma

I've been on mirtazapine 15mg for several years and I have to take Pregabalin 150mg and melatonin 9mg all together at night which does work for me.

I was a nurse, shift worker and found Zopiclone lost effectiveness but only take mirtazapine for sleep.

The Therapeutic dose for depression with mirtazapine is 30-45mg but apparently it doesn't help sleep in higher doses.

I take sertraline 150mg night for anxiety and depression and Pregabalin is for anxiety too.

I'm hoping you give it more time but my routine as a person whose tried everything for sleep is as stated above. Weight gain is an issue due to increased appetite.

Best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.