On 20mg citalopram 5 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi wondering if anyone has had problems with digestive system while taking citalopram as my doctor now thinks I have gerd I get pains in my chest and back and feel like something is stuck in my throat after I eat iv been put on 40mg Of omeprazole and have to get tests done feel like I get over 1 thing and it's somthing else.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi dawn. I've been on 20mg citrapram for 6 weeks now. I also get pains in my chest on my left side aswell so always think it's my heart sad still have funny turns aswell and I also get that feeling in my throat but not as bad as I used to get it before taking tabs. Think we just got to give it a bit longer I've seen some posts say up to 8 weeks so I'm going to wait till then and see if any better. 
  • Posted

Hi Dawn,

Very common side effects.  How long have you been on cit?  Most of my side effects subsided after 6 weeks.  The throat thing is very common and does go away.  My digestive system was in chaos for the first month plus, but then went back to normal.  Pains in your chest and back could simply be due to a very tense body.  Hang in there!

Best,

Linda

• Posted

When I first started Citralopram it used to give me indigestion a lot, but along with all the other side effects it eventually eased.  I get funny turns, like my arms don't belong to me, but I don't mind this (actually feels quite nice)!

I used to get different side effects as each week passed, from nausea, headaches, heady, sore throat, tiredness, yawning, anxiety, scary thoughts, trembling, vivid dreams, lack of sleep, indigestion, funny turns, racing heart, something that felt like a missed heartbeat, restlessness, overheating ........

All these have now gone thankfully.

• Posted

Hi Dawn.  I had horrid tummy issues whilst on Cit, like you I had acid reflux but I also had alternating diarrhoea and constipation and constant nausea everytime I ate anything at all.  Other side effects subsided but the stomach issues didnt unfortunately go away as they did for other people I knew.  About a year into taking the cit it caused an allergic severe hair loss reaction so added to the stomach probs, I just ditched it and tried more natural methods to ease anxiety.  Give it a little while and this may get better for you.  If after say 8 - 10 weeks its still bad, ask your doctor if there is another medication instead of citalopram which may not cause so many issues for you.
    • Posted

Hey loxie I was just wondering ehen the hair loss started did u have a itchy scalp n dry hair or did it just start to full out??
    • Posted

Didnt really have itchy scalp etc., just noticed there were handfuls of hair in the shower when I washed it and it just started shedding every time I touched it.  Even with all the stress and anxiety I had before I started taking cit I had really thick glossy hair.  It got so bad it was causing me to stress all over again, especially with all the tummy troubles which had me paranoid I had bowel cancer or something - my mind over thinking things I guess.  My doctor said it's rare but cit does cause this in a few people, I was just unlucky.  Been off it over a year since I stopped taking it and my hair is still really thin, probably stuck with it now. 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that huni. Im paranoid too as im getting alot of rib and stomach ache sith citalopram also breast hurting alot. So I keeo checking my breast for lumps as I did convince my self I had breast cancer iv had two blood test and urine samples they have comd back clear so hopefully itd the side effects to the citalopram. Thanks for ur reply x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.