on 30mg and anxiety is much better but i feel depressed?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm hoping someone with long term experience of Citalopram can help me here. My anxiety after 7-8 weeks or so (at this dose), is vastly better than it was, although it still flares up. However in the last few days, i feel more and more down and ..for want of a better word...empty? - Do i need to increase to 40mg? Am i taking too little? OR perhaps even now i'm taking too much?  Is this a down day / blip - caused by situational issues? (relationships are an issue at present) 

I realise u guys dont have the answer but any thoughts appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I should also add - i'm on Beta Blockers (propranolol) could these cause depression?

• Posted

hi i have been on citalopram for 6months and my anxiety as got a lot better am on 2omg was on 30mg but felt it was to much for me i still get days when i feel anxious,did get sertraline to try but have stuck to citalopram for now i have suffered depression for a good 30years but at the moment am not depressed just anxious i think you probably feeling like you are because of your situation maybe you might need something for depression ,it is still early days yet your medication might need a few more weeks.stick with it .,and if you feel you are getting worses got back to your doctor there is other things for you to try,take care.
    • Posted

Thankyou...yes maybe it is too early...maybe a blip..i dont know but im fed up being miserable
    • Posted

hi,you sound really distressed i was on that beta blocker in fact doctor gives me them to take now and then as i have a fast heart beat,they did not cause me any problems i would go and see your gp and ask for counciling i have had that in the past and it did help.sometimes you just need someone to talk to and sometimes it is easy said then done.as i said it is early days i am still anxious at some point during the day and i have been on meds for 6 months,go see your doctor thats really all i can advise take care.
  • Posted

I was on citalopram for 7 years, definitely give more time for it to settle, but also have a think about counselling.. just getting whatever you have off your chest can sometimes relieve so much.

Keep positive 👍🏻

• Posted

Hi angel..thanks for the reply. Im.already having pyschotherapy (early days) so hopefully it will help. I just wish i cld drag myself out of this spiral.

• Posted

Hi.  I've been on Cit for six weeks now, 4 weeks at 20mg upped to 30mg 2 weeks ago.  I also feel "empty" but I believe that's due to the loss of libido side-effect.  Normally when I'm out, for example, in a supermarket or pub I "people watch".  I might think along the lines of "he's well dressed, I wonder what his job is" or "she's attractive".  That's all disappeared.  I don't seem to relate to people the way I used to.  Hopefully this emptiness will pass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.