On Citalopram 10 years off them 4 weeks.....

Posted , 6 users are following.

Off Citalopram 4 weeks now and never felt worse, slight anxiety short tempered, don't like nor care much about anything very tearful. Slightly paranoid. Pains aches flu like symptoms.

I had been on it I suppose about 10 years and had no problems with it at all. I know I didn't need them so it took me three months to get off them 20-10-15-5. And it felt amazing but see now non-amazing.

Doctor never mentioned any side effects coming off he just said. Aye that's great sure come you off them give any left to the chemist cheerio!.

I actually blame the Doctor in a way the whole ten year never once did my GP ever ask me how I was doing on them ? Did I still need them ? I just repeat repeat repeat. Id say I haven't needed them in about five years in hindsight.

Too late. May the suffering quit soon.

Good luck to anyone feeling the same 🍀🍀🍀

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I've been on various doses of Citalopram over the last 10 years too, perhaps a bit longer.  Currently I'm on 40mg daily and I've tried several times to unsuccessfully come off it.  I was under the care of a Phychaitrist who then retired and I've never found anyone else since and just used various GPs for advice but I don't honestly think they know just how addictive these pills are or how hard it is to come off.  I really want to stop taking them but there doesn't seem any support or guidance out there.... How are you getting on ?

• Posted

Hi was really bad for the four weeks. Today I did feel better but tonight I have mild vertigo not sure if this has anything to do with it tho

Thanks for asking🍀

• Posted

The doctors don't really seem to have much idea if u ask me, which is why I would rather come on here and speak to other people who actually have experience of being on the drug. Have u tried using magnesium or niacin? These helped with my withdrawal from venlafaxine, I also used kalms to help me sleep and they were great x

• Posted

My sleep is ok and my memory is def better. Do u buy those tablets in a shop?

Leanne🍀

• Posted

Hi lee, sorry to hear your having a bad time....it took me about six months to come off Citalopram , I did it much slower than the Dr said to do and it was ok. I was on 20mg so started taking 10mg every other day for a few weeks, I mean with 20mg on alternate days, before going down to 10mg , stayed on that for a while then cut it down to every other day again....i think it takes some time to get used to having actual emotions again, I found it difficult to cope with tears and sadness but have to remind myself that these are normal for most people and nothing to worry about. I managed three years without them and was fine but unfortunately I'm back on them now as suffer with severe anxiety on and off . Good luck getting off them...take it slow

• Posted

Thanks birdie

Iam taking it easy but still have to work altho I am finding it ok

It's things annoy me like my living room needs decorated my partner annoys me not being able to get kodi to play a good stream etc.....

Sound funny but true. No patience! ! Can't be bothered with anyone but I have to say I feel good today

Leanne🍀

• Posted

Hi leebee

3 months is too quick to withdraw from these meds.  I spent a year reducing by 5mg each time lasting 1-2 months and didn't have any withdrawal effects.  I came off them once before by dropping by 10mg each time and though I spent some months doing it, it was still too quick and I had withdrawal.

Doing it as slow as I did the second time you gradually ease off, avoiding withdrawal and your body isn't shocked either.

So your doctor didn't mention any withdrawal???  Absolutely blame the doctor - how irresponsible.  I read about this all too often.

You could reinstate a small dose ie 5mg for a week then 10mg ..... but don't do this alone - you need to see your doctor.  And do it slowly too with this minimal dose.

K x

• Posted

No he did not mention it. That's why I couldn't work out what was going on. Feel disappointed more awareness is needed

LEANNE 🍀

• Posted

Hi

No he did not. That's why I couldn't work out what was going on. Feel disappointed and beleive there should be more awareness.

Leanne 🍀

• Posted

Whoa!!!!  That's so dangerous.  I don't understand why guidelines to withdrawing aren't written in stone.  I've said for ages more awareness is needed - in everything about this illness, meds AND definitely coming off for safety reasons.

K x

• Posted

Hi leebee72

I am having similar problems.  Been on anti depressants 23 years, after my husband's tragic death. Began to come off Citalopram Sep 2016, finshed Jan 2017.  Very irritable, angry and tearful, crying every day.

I told the GP that I think the tearfulness has built up over the years, from citalopram masking emotions for all that time.  She said that I was right.

With hindsight, I feel that it is better to deal with your troubles, grief etc. without the help of these drugs, as it is really awful coming off them.

I would never advise anyone to go on them if they can do without, as I am still having these withdrawal symptoms 2 months after finally stopping them.

Now I think I am going to need bereavement counselling.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that and I hope overcome your grief take whatever help is available. As for the tablets they should be taken of the market. Today I have been very emotional been with a man 5.5 years and now he hardly recognises me ..

Leanne🍀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.