On day 2 of citalopram 20mg.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my partner is on day 2 of citalopram 20mg and has not yet had any side effects I'm just wondering if he will get any side effects at all when would he expect them?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I was started in 10 mg then went to 20mg after 3 weeks. It's been over 6 weeks now and I have not had any noticeable side effects

• Posted

I'm just worried that if he isn't getting any side effects that the drug may not be working?

• Posted

The med is just starting to work for me, it took a while but it was worth the wait and all without side effects.
  • Posted

He might not get any at all if he’s lucky! I didn’t get any at all with Citalopram but did with Fluoxetine after 2 weeks. It just depends. Some people will experience side effects within a few days and others may experience them later on. 

I’d say try not to be on the “look out” for side effects as they may not happen and being hyper aware might not help. 

• Posted

Like I said above I'm just slightly worried that if he doesn't have side effects then it may not be working

• Posted

I don’t think that’s the case. I didn’t get any side effects and Citalopram worked great for me. Having or not having side effects doesn’t dictate whether or not the drug is working. 

• Posted

Aw that's good to hear thank you for replying I appreciate we've been through hell and back the last few months so it's nice to know it's not an indication of it not working

• Posted

No not at all, it’s early days for him but I’ve found Citalopram amazing and it really helped. The only slight side effect I remember getting was difficulty getting up in the mornings but I found taking the Citalopram in the early evening helped. As it’s got a slight sedative effect to it id highly recommend he takes it in the evening. 

Good luck to you both!

• Posted

He could be lucky and not get any side effects at all, I'm a month in on a dose increase and getting quite a few although less severe than the first 2 weeks.

• Posted

I'm hoping so, we've been through a lot already although I know even If he does it's a step forward towards help, I'm just worried about the suicidal thoughts side effect? But I heard it mainly happens to 18 and understanding and my partners almost 23

• Posted

Hi Mark can you say what symptoms you have been experiencing. I am in first week of use and feeling terribly tired and forgetful!
    • Posted

All of the above lol,Tired, lack of concentration and a bit achy are the main ones, I've been on these a few times before and it's worth the wait for them to work, I did a diary last year and about a month in was feeling about the same as I am now, the beginning is all about side effects then later the good stuff happens, not overnight but you notice little positive changes that slowly grow until normality returns. some people recover quite quickly ie just a few weeks but for full recovery it took me 12 weeks last year.

• Posted

That's Lovely mark 12 weeks...for me 8months...take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.