On going anxiety that's hard to accept

Posted , 6 users are following.

I everyone I just need to tell my story unfortunately it sounds a lot like everybody else's struggle with this awful illness. Mine started in 2011 with a panic attack where I ended up in the ER. It was out of the blue and scared the life out of me. They did ekgs and all the usual tests and said you are fine however my BP was 230/110! They gave me a Valium and 20mins later it was 130/80.

I have struggled with anxiety since that time I have been back to the ER about 4 times with the same result.

My Dr has sent me for many tests Cat scans ultrasounds and at least 20 blood and urine tests which have all been good. I'm currently on BP medication and I take a Ativan when absolutely needed.

I guess I can't accept anxiety can give you all these horrible symptoms. My current symptoms are chest/ back pain dizziness ringing in the ears and a general feeling of not being well. I still get occasional spikes in high BP which my Dr assures me is anxiety. It still scares me though.

Like everyone else I wish I never would have googled my symptoms when I first became ill. I gave myself every major illness. I currently think my kidneys are failing even though my recent medical 3 weeks ago was excellent for my age I'm 57. I'm pretty fit workout everyday don't smoke and generally look after myself.

I have had good health all of my life until that first panic attack since then it has changed.

It's comforting to know that other people are going through similar issues. Even though I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark, 

Anxiety really sucks! Yes you are not alone. I suffer too. (I'm 23) Everyone always tells me, take one day at a time. Sometimes I have to take a day hour by hour. It helps. 

I'm similar, I went to the hospital a couple of weeks ago, I had blood tests done, xrays (of my chest, I had chest pain) everything was clear. It's frustrating as anxiety is all in your mind and when it gets worse the physical symtoms are really scary. 

I really like this website. It's nice that people who suffer from the same things can communicate and get advice from each other. It's a nice reminder that you are not the only one suffering from anxiety. smile

• Posted

Thanks Hannah for your reply I've never had to write anything on a forum. I was just feeling pretty horrible this morning and needed to vent. I guess like everyone I always think the Drs have missed something and I have some horrible illness I guess after 5 years it should have developed now. Like other people have said unless you suffer from this no one can really understand.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi im going through the same as you, up until my very first panic attack i know symptoms what so ever.

Then that one day where my chest felt really tight, i felt dizzy, i felt short of breath and just wierd at work all day, then on the way home, my breath just suddenly cut out from me for a split second. And that was first panic attack, and since then (5 years ago now) my life has been hell.

Different symptom, different illness, i thought my first anxiety attack was my heart, the first time i went to the doctors about it he said no no, your way too young, go enjoy your life. If only i 'd took his advice, i didnt take that for an answer and have gone through a stupid amount of tests all for nothing to be found, but here i am 5 years on still convinced i've got a dodgy ticker.

Still got wierd chest sensations, last year it was chest pain 100% got a blockage or a dodgy valve, had all the tests and got the all clear, so the chest pain went away. Now it's wierd chest sensations, flutters that take my breath away, thinking i have some deadly arrythmia, the mind of anxiety is a merry go round, you get rid of one symptom, another one pops up. 

I've finally reached out for help and im booked in for some CBT. I wish i'd done it years ago, maybe you should consider looking into it?

• Posted

Hi GYDA it's horrible isn't it? I also wish I would have satisfied with my initial test results and I wouldn't have put myself through so much worry and suffering including sitting in the ER all day like a frightened child. I have been through the heart worries too now I think it's my kidneys because of my high bp issues. If it's not one thing it's another I'm trying mindfulness now and increasing my exercise routine which helps.

• Posted

I too have new symptoms I focus on constantly! I have been dealing with anxiety for over twenty years. I'll have some good periods where my worry is low and then bam, any twinge of pain anywhere sets off a new cycle of scanning my body again sad seems like I take one symptom and run with it for months at times , although every time I go to the doctor, all tests are clear and I'm told I'm healthy . Right now I'm focusing on lower back pain and cancer arghhhh.

I did CBT years ago and it truly did help!! Thinking about trying again .

• Posted

You sound just like me. I think the anxiety has turned me into a hypochondriac. Take this morning for example, I was having a good morning, I was at work, then out of nowhere I felt some discomfort in my right breast and it was all downhill from there. Heart attack, breast cancer, everything went through my mind. Then the adrenaline starting coursing through my body. I grabbed some Ativan and it helped. But I hate having to rely on pills all of the time! I'm so fed up with it all.

• Posted

Definitely fed up too!! I've had a new focus each year it seems.... over the years I've had everything at some point ..... Brain tumor, had cat scan; cancers-breast, ovary, uterine, bone, lung, stomach, throat; vision issues must mean stroke or seizures; heartburn and reflux prompted an endoscopy.... Found a small hiatal hernia; had gallbladder Checked with abdominal scans and Hida scan- tests fine; had heart palps and they rushed me in for an EKG , clear...and said I had gas pockets ! All bloodwork good.... Chest pains and muscle spasms from a pulled muscle , had costochondritis (which by the way caused high anxiety as it took nearly a year to completely heal) ,now I've moved on to perimenopausal craziness that has restarted the cycle again with various symptoms. Ughhhhh it's sooo frustrating ....

• Posted

I seriously sound like the worlds worst hypochondriac lol
    • Posted

Oh and I forgot about the skin cancer scare one year that prompted annual skin checks !
  • Posted

Anxiety disorders are rough. Oh the things they create in our bodies can be awful. They can do scans and tests all they want they dont know what they are even looking for with this disorder yet haha. Unfair but it is what it is. Its crazy all the stuff it does to our bodies and how new symptoms manage to pop up. I have some weird tingling thing lately, so annoying already. You are not alone and i think the actual statistics are too low. They make it like 18% of the population the. Break it down to like 6% on anxiety attacks. It has to be way more the. That. Many hide it and live in secret with it. The least this world can do is pull it to the top and get it in media outlets to explain it and desensitize the stigma attatched to it. Its so cruel to make light of it. 

• Posted

Yes it's hell isn't it I'm amazed how my life and personality has changed from being pretty happy go lucky to someone that constantly thinks about their health and how they are feeling. I've been to my GP so many times in the last few years I feel like a hypochondriac. It's just the varied symptoms are at times so frightening. The Dr has put me on BP meds and I get several of the common side effects so I don't really know if the pain is from the meds or my anxiety making it worse. I agree I think this anxiety panic is more common then the stats say. I believe a lot of people just mask it with drugs an alcohol.

I know myself I love a beer and after a few I feel great but if I have to many the next morning is a living hell when my anxiety is through the roof.

I'm glad I found this site it does help to post your problems to strangers who are going through the same sort of things. I think friends are a bit tired of me and my feelings to be honest I can't blame them!

• Posted

I learned long ago not to bother talking about it with relatives or certain friends haha. They cant fix it and its a downer for them to hear. A few have their own issues so it becomes a convo of symptoms haha we end up laughing cause we feel like were going mad. Haha but its real. Mind, mental whatever its real. the cause is unknown so right now in science obviously they cant pinpoint it.they will one day. Hooefully very soon would be nice. Way too many are walking around like this. We all arent this "creative" to produce such similiar symptoms lets be real. But we all need to get out of our own way and not feed into it with fear and such. That does  make it worse. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa I certainly agree with what you say all of us can't be making up similar symptoms and you are right we can't keep on bothering people with our complaints because everyone has their own problems. But the symptoms can get scary. When I've been to the ER I feel the Drs and Nurses can be a bit condescending and at times talk to you like a child. I guess they see this every day.

My main fear is my high BP issues when I'm anxious my BP can reach 180 but the dialostic always stays under 90. When I'm relaxing it's always around 130/70.

This stuff is scary I was wondering how many other people have BP issues with their anxiety?

• Posted

I get white coat syndrome at the doctors office. My bp is always high when I get there and the doctor usually retakes it after I've been there for a while and it's back down . At home it usually runs 120s-130/80-84 however doctor did prescribe metoprolol saying it would keep me more level 🙄 Idk ....

So of course I started worrying about blood pressure, obsessed about it for a while but have gotten much better with that and don't check it obsessively as I did before.

• Posted

Oh yes the ER visit thinking I had a brain tumor, the headaches the ringing in the ears, no sleep etc, yes you are not alone at all. To make a long story short after the ER visit i went to a psychiatrist and started the Med experment, finding the right meds to ease the pain. It took awhile but I finally got the Anxiety and depression under control, it's not 100% but it's a huge difference and I really believe Meds are a good start to help, some might disagree but it helped me big time and still is. Good luck and it will get better but it does take time.

• Posted

Just adding to what I just wrote do other people have times when the anxiety seems to have vanished. I had a period of about 6 months last year when my symptoms were so minimal I hardly noticed them. I managed a holiday to Europe for six weeks on my own and felt pretty good.

Earlier on this year I was riding my motorcycle and I had a panic attack just sitting in traffic. I had to stop by the side of the road and take half an Ativan which calmed me in about 20 mins. I carry them for emergencies but rarely use them. This day seemed to have started everything again.

I went to the ER the next week and sat there the whole day with my heart racing and high BP.

Again all tests were fine and sent me home.

I must admit I freak out in hospitals and even the Drs office so it's not easy for me to do. It's just when I feel desperate for answers to what's happening to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.