On-going period problems, doctors are no help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello! This is my first time reaching out to anyone / any forum to talk about this, i’ve just reached a point that i’m not sure what’s going on with my body.

Firstly, i’m 17 years old and most my life i’ve had regular periods since the age of 10. i’ve always had slightly heavier periods (thanks to my family) and that’s never bothered me. I am overweight, not massively but not just slightly, but i’ve been this weight for many years now so I do not think this could be causing my current issues.

Around about November last year, i stopped having a period, absolutely nothing. At first i just passed it off as nothing important, but after two months went by i went to the doctors and they said that it’s probably nothing important and to come back at a later date if i don’t start soon. 

In January, i arranged another appointment because i was still not bleeding and they just said it was likely pcos but still gave me a blood test and an ultra sound. The result came back clear and nothing was wrong, they just let me go with a leaflet on pcos.

Then in February, i had a period and i thought whatever was going on was over with. Until i was faced with the opposite of what i had before. I didn’t stop bleeding. Whether i’d be heavy or light, there’s was something everyday. Luckily my body decided to maybe give me a day to three days of no bleeding when it felt like it, but it was terrible. While i was used to periods, i was not used to bleeding every single day!

However i wasn’t even bleeding how i usually would on a period. Usually i rarely ever passed clots (is that correctly phrased?) except i was now passing clots slightly more frequently and some of them were quite alarming in size (to me anyway). 

Of course i went back to the doctor and they, again, just said it was nothing important but with summer coming up if i wanted to be put on something to stop .

So i’ve dealt with it until a fortnight ago i requested to be put on something just so i could go on holiday for a week. Everything was fine, absolutely no issues, not a drop. 

Until, obviously i reached the end of the amount i was given. I was just expecting for things to resume as they were before however now i’ve been experiencing terrible cramps for days, much worse than the ones i experienced when i was regular. No matter how many paracetamol i take, the pain doesn’t go away and it almost feels as if the pain is spreading down my thighs. I’m also now passing larger clots even more frequently and am consistantly much heavier in flow. 

While i’m not really concerned with this last week as the doctor told me i would most likely start again heavily, i was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and gotten better luck at the doctors with what this whole ordeal is and whether it is anything serious or not, as i’m quite the worrier. 

I realise how long this is, and how troublesome this will be to read, but i’d be grateful for anything anyone has to offer.  Thank you and have a nice day. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

when I was 16, I was similar. It turned out that I have a very big problem with prolactin. let them do a series of tests better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.