On holiday with bad anxiety help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I am currently on holiday abroad and my boyfriend went home today to get back to work whilst I'm still here with family and friends. I suffer with panick and anxiety attacks and have for 10 years (I'm 20) because he was going home today last night I had a massive attack I was gagging and crying and being sick and it didn't end til 7am this morning I ended up not going to the airport because I was too ill and upset. Today I can't stop crying I have stayed indoors all day because I just keep crying and I just feel sick I don't know what to do I can't seem to control this one! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear, Amelia... You are in a bad situation for sure. Can you get to a doctor for some urgently needed anti-anxiety medication? You may even be able to get someone to visit you where you are staying...

At home, see your doctor to find out what is going on. Your hormones might be out of whack for one. Make sure you don't have PCOS for example. 

Are you generally a needy or dependent person? If so, seek the help of a psychologist to work this out. When you feel better about yourself and are strong and confident, something like your BF leaving should not send you into such a tailspin. 

Accomplish something that will help you feel independent and strong; volunteer, do for others, take a course, learn to cook, set a plan to get into the best shape possible by working out (great for stress) and by eating well..(6 - 10 servings of fruit and veggies per day)...and do your best in whatever you undertake. i.e. start your day off with a lovely, big fruit smoothie made in your blender with apple, berries, protein powder and milk...or even better, almond milk. A sound mind in a sound body.

You need success in your life. LIke a soldier going to war, you need armour and you need strength and confidence to win life's battles, big and small. 

Start with talking to yourself. Be your own best friend. Give yourself encouragement and tell yourself that your inner core is strong. Be your own person who doesn't need others (BF) to feel good about herself. Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi robin, 

i have never taken medication for anxiety and I used to go to hypnotherapy. At home I go to the gym and have a regular routine it's staying away from home which I have a fear of and only my mum and boyfriend are the ones who make me feel most comfortable

thank you 

• Posted

Hello Amelia,

It sounds like you have social anxiety. My son has it and functions relatively normally; has a wife and child. But he is obviously ill at ease around others. He has been known to leave social get togethers where there are many people he doesn't know. He moved to the US (from Canada) 7 years ago and has made no friends. I think he suffers from depression. He has a good job and manages his anxiety somehow at work. He's okay with close family (parents and sisters)..and actually very funny and fun. This started in his early teens. It's due to a lower level of serotonin and dopamine...and I think one other brain chemical. A psychiatrist can give you medications to help restore them to normal levels. My son refuses and won't admit anything is wrong. There are actual clinics that treat social anxiety which is a very common issue.

It must be terrible to have such a condition and not be able to live a full and free life and to have such a dependent relationship on people. Can you work? Does this run in your family as it does in my son's fathers? I say, see a psychiatrist about it...and see if there is a specialized clinic in your area where you can get counselling. You are young so you can get on top of this problem now and have a MUCH better quality of life.

• Posted

Hi Amelia,

I have a very dear friend (girl),just the same as you,it is a phobia,as someone else said,my friend will not take drugs,but I have seen her lose control,and then she is in a mess.

Like you she works out,but it is not going to fix your problem which unfortunately is in your head,and really you need some professional assistance.

When I was in a similar state many years ago now I dreaded when my wife left for work,we'd just moved home (200miles) and i was terribly homesick and the anxiety was overpowering,I hated being alone,had no-one I knew,and in the end I had a blackout,had to take Valium to get me on an even keel,eventually that dread went,getting a job helped me and slowly making friends.

My fitness at the time was superb,I played football,cricket,tennis,and ran long distance,but it did not prevent my anxiety one bit.

It is the mind that needs training,the body will respond to a mind that is working normally,but once the mind and the nervous system gets out of control,then the problem hits hard.

I suggest you see someone quickly.don't let it get on top of you,there are people that can help,drugs may help you,but other therapies are in place.

I do hope you feel more like yourself soon,and I wish you the very best.

Best regards Malc

• Posted

Hi.. Mabe u could set up an appt. For UR doc for meds and counceling. Once u get it started u will feel better. No reason for u to be so sick when there is treatment. Take care, hugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.