On HRT for 3 months after menopause and started spotting!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone!

I have been on hrt for three months and have started some cramping and mostly dark spotting for three days now. I have heard this can happen, but, would like to hear from anyone who has had this kind of experience.

I had a pap test done before I started the HRT, and everything was fine. I am just a little concerned. Should I contact my doctor, or wait a little longer and see how things go? I am scheduled to see my Obgyn next month on the 19th.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dee this is very common. There's nothing wrong with keeping some notes and see how it goes.  Chances are it will stop shortly.  I'm going to assume you are taking both estrogen and progesterone.  Sometimes doses need to be tweaked at bit.   But with an appointment already scheduled for April 19th, that will give you time to see if it stops or continues.  You can always call the office and talk to the nurse and see what she suggests.  

All this really suggests is that the estrogen is stimulating the lining of your uterus.  Countered with enough daily progesterone, it should stop any lining buildup.

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding.

Yes, I am on both estrogen and progesterone.

I will keep track of things and go from there.

It is nice to hear from someone who is familiar with my situation. It helps relax the mind.

Thanks so much again. smile

• Posted

You're welcome Dee.  Right now I'm having a few problems of my own with the combination HRT.  

So I hope I'm not being too noisy.  But do yo mind telling me how old you are? How long have you been in menopause?  And also the amount and type of HRT you are taking?  And I'm going to assume you are taking both on a continuous basis?

• Posted

Hey, sure, I can answer those questions for you.

I am 47, I officially reached menopause end of last August. So, I have been post menopausal for seven months now.

I was started out on the estrodot 50 (transdermal patch) bi weekly and progesterone 100 mg pills every night. After a month, my prescription was doubled. So, estrodot 100 bi-weekly and 200 mg progesterone nightly. This was because I was still very symptomatic.

My story is long, but, basically, I fell extremely hard with my hormone balance in August of 2016. I had a chronic sinus infection and for 5 weeks after the initial symptoms of the sinus infection increased I became more and more sick until I literally became so weak that I could hardly stand for more than a minute. I had also many other symptoms like body aches, severe hot flashes, sinus migraines and hypersensitivity to scents. It was so scary!!

Took doctors and a several naturopaths a year and a half to check out possibilities and then finally get my hormones checked. Even though my doctor knew I had sporadic menstrual cycles for years.

So, it's been a horrible journey. Had to quit my job too. So, now that I have been on hrt, I have been improving much faster ( still have a ways to go). But, am able to do alot more now. I still struggle, but, I hope in time that my hormone levels will get balanced, and I can get back to my normal strength.

Sorry so long of a story, but, it's been crazy..sigh.

What issues are you experiencing?

• Posted

Dee, no need to apologize.  I like hearing these stories.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed you get your strength back.  

My guess is with the sinus infection you were given a strong antibiotic.  That alone can slam your estrogen to the floor!  And of course, it also messes with your gut flora.  So it's easy to see why you became so symptomatic.  

Please come back and let me know how you are doing.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.