On Mirtazapine but still struggling

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

I have been on antidepressants for around 8 months now. I started on Citalpram and then switched to Mirtazapine. I have been suffering from stress at work and my doctor prescribed Mirtazapine because he tells me it is particularly effective for anxiety. I went back to my doc 2 days ago because i was hoping he would try me on a different med because i am still not coping. He recommended i stay on Mirtazapine but increase the dose to 45mg.

I really hope the increased dose will sort me out because at the moment this stress/depression is ruining my life. I am so down with work i feel physically sick when i turn up each day, i can't concentrate and just have the urge to run away.

I have found Mirtazapine has increased my weight by 2 stone, but i am happy to be overweight for a while if it means i get my head sorted.

Thanks for listening

Paul

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul I was on mirtazapine for almost a year and put on a stone in weight. I would try to stick with the increased dose of mirtazapine to see if it relieves some of your symptoms. I think that you are very brave continuing to work but in the present economic climate jobs are hard to find. If you are not already seeing one then I suggest you ask for a referal to see a psychiatrist. He will be able to sort your meds out and maybe offer some sort of therapy. I am on a combination of drugs to treat my depression. Maybe that will be the right way for you too. When I was acutely ill with depression my GP would not increase my meds but my psychiatrist did it straight away. Try to live from day to day and do not dwell on past failings. Your local MIND office might be able to help with short term counselling or your doctors surgery. Best wishes Pooh.
  • Posted

Hi Pooh,

I asked my doc about seeing a councillor or someone to talk to. He told my that it is not available on the NHS and the only form of treatment is by medication. He told me that medication usually sorts out these problems, but it has been about 7 months now and i am still not better. I seem to start feeling a little better then i get another set back and i have to start again from scratch. It seems that after been completely stressed out it, it is so much easier to panic and fall back into that stressed out state.

Many thanks for your advice.

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul, I have been on Mirt for ages I went up to 45mg and stayed on this for some time then about two months ago dropped to 30 and about ten days ago dropped to 15, today was a crap day I know what you mean about setbacks, I really had to push my doctor and eventually I got some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, this helped at the time it taught me that however bad the feelings and thought were that’s all they were thoughts and feelings, and really could not hurt me, I have had other therapy since then, I contacted my local Counseling and Psychotherapy centre and they bill on an ability to pay scheme it cost me £30 per session, which I thought for peace of mind was good value for money, this may help you unfortunately I am still searching for the elusive peace and relaxed feeling I had before this hit me.

Did the Citalpram work for you and why did you come off them, I ask because I have not tried this one and the Mirt while great at the time when life was hell does not seem to be helping me to get over the edgy feeling I have now.

• Posted

Hi Colin, thanks for your advice.

Citalpram was the first med i was put on, i can't remember the dose. It seemed to worked to start with, but i guess the problem with all these things i don't know how much was the meds and how much was me making myself feel better. I was ok for 2-3 months, i didn't not feel on the top of the world but i was coping, so i assumed the tablets worked. But then i had my second turn at work, this time i could hardly talk and when i went out for air my legs gave way and i found myself on the floor. I was signed off work for 3 weeks then, put on 30mg of Mirt, and taking the sedative diazapram for my immediate nerves. It has been another couple of months since my last turn and i seemed to be getting on track, i was giving a little harder work in my job, nothing which i did not think i could cope with. But then my boss was never in the office for 2 weeks and kept ringing me for progress. Well i started feeling bad again and went to the doc on Thursday and increased my meds. I had 90% finished my work, but when my boss finally appeared on Friday i gave him back the work told him how far i got and then said i can't do anymore its stressing me out. I think this was the right thing to do, but it has left me feeling totally low. It makes me consider my future and how i am going to cope long term.

Thanks

Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.