On Mirtazipine - I feel so switched off & everything is a struggle

Posted , 9 users are following.

I’ve been on Mirtazipine 30mg for about 6 months now. Initially I felt okay but went back to work three months ago and now I’m struggling with collecting my thoughts, finding the right words to say, lethargic, I feel like I can’t really thinking properly. I also at times loose my balance or don’t feel very well coordinated. Is this a side effect of the medication? Does anyone else feel like this? 

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Charlotte, i had all of that and then some. Mirt eventually stopped working for my sleep issues and all i was left with was that "tore up from the floor up" feeling. Some dont get that. Good luck

• Posted

Any help for me trying to get off mirtaz after a couple of years? I am titrating down now to less than 2mg but the anxiety is bad - how do you get through this?
    • Posted

Charlotte, im a week behind Kaz @ 15 weeks. Having better days. Few and farther in between, but they are coming. Support and sleep and reduction in caffeine have coincided with this. There is hope.
  • Posted

I guess all of those symptoms are due to the sedation that Mirt' has Charlotte; maybe you felt OK initially as any AD can take between 4 - 12 weeks to adjust our brains chemistry.  However having said that, for most, the sedation can be overwhelming to begin with, knocking us out to sleep at bedtime until we get used to it.

Should you decide that Mirt' isn't for you be aware that for most it is difficult to discontinue (never suddenly stop as the withdrawal is horrendous).  So do your research; make a plan, the suggested way is to taper no more than 10% every 4 weeks, or 5% every 2 weeks.  

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi charlotte

i was the same while taking mirtz

im if it 16 wks and starting to get clearer better days 

kaz 

• Posted

It's obviously turned on you Charlotte. Heard a lot of stories like yours as everything is fine and then the problems start when it stops. Youve been on it roughly the same time as me but its never worked from day one and now I'm starting to get off it.

• Posted

I feel like that too Charlotte. I've been on Mirt for as long you have too. I've down to 15mg now, but afraid of coming down more due to bad reactions stated on good forums like these. I'm always on the look out for new advise or therapeutic ideas to help me through the difficult times.   

• Posted

I have been on mirtaz over two years, never really helped but stayed low dose. Now coming off i am down to just above 1mg and yes there are side effects, for me increased anxiety the worst but we have to just stay the course to get through is what i am told by those off it.  Take it slowly and you should be ok.  By the way we have all found if we suggest to our drs that withdrawal is hard they say there are no withdrawals from this med.   
  • Posted

Hello Charlotte I’ve been on 30mg for over a year now and have only just thought and realised that these tablets maybe the cause of me feeling so lethargic and lifeless too. Thing only thing I do is eat!!!  My lack of energy is worrying me now and I am trying to come off of Mirtazapine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.