Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +1 following
martha6264 martha6264

On October 11th I had my big toe joint replaced

On October 3rd I underwent surgery to replace my big toe joint , I also had my 2nd toe straightened after a previous failed surgery, and had hardware removed from a previous tailors bunionectomy, before the surgery the nurse commented on the fact that no antibiotics were ordered especially since my joint was being replaced. I made sure that the nurse was aware that I easily develop infections, whether this was passed on to my surgeon I don'tknow. Needless to say after my surgery I developed cellulitis, I was put on 2 different oral antibiotics but I am still having redness on my foot and toe, severe pain within the joint, and my 2nd toe is curling back up again. During my last visit X-rays were done, and I was told that swelling showed up around the artificial joint, and this has been several weeks ago. I know that I probably should have done more research on my surgeons ,because I saw my surgeon's husband one time for a recheck on the infection, and he wasn't sure I was given IV antibiotics, and when I mentioned that I was debating whether to go to the ER when the infection was first noticed by me, my surgeon said " I don't want you to go to the ER, I don't want anyone messing with my work. " I feel like I have screwed up big time. My gait has been affected greatly, and I don't know if the replacement will need to be removed.

0 Replies

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.