On premarin for 10+ years but wasn't menopausal!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I has a hysterectomy in 1996 and was offered Premarin 2 years later as my eggs would be not viable and I would be having an early menopause at 38. I took them until I was 50. At 54 I found out this week I am now going through the menopause (raft of blood tests). I am apalled to think that I have taken hormones that I didn't need for 12 years and totally unsure what to do now I need help but don't/can't trust medics (and so scared of recent symtoms because I has been assured the menopause was long gone). Has anyone else been through this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry just to add that when a woman eventually stops the HRT she'll then go through the menopause, as I now know. The thinking was at one time that it would prevent all of the symptoms, you would take it until you normally would have gone through the menopause and stop and be symptom free. Unfortunately they were wrong.
    • Posted

I'm stunned to hear this, this was not discussed - I'm trying to work (and must work) through these horrible and frightening symptoms. Thank you for taking the time to let me know I'm not going mad!
  • Posted

Yes, I learned there is a 'pre-menopausal' state? I has no symtoms but it was part of the hysterectomy aftercare given that the readon for that happening was that it was likey pre-cancerous cervical cancer after 3 miscarriages and and ectopic between 24 and 34
  • Posted

Laura, I never used hrt, but I learned here that you can not just stop taking it.  You must stop slowly, so your peri or menopausal symptoms do not become unbearable? As you are saying you are already menopausal,I guess he will have to reconfigure the hormone dosage for your needs now as it can be helping the unbalance.

Other thing you might like to research is "estrogen dominance". 

Big hugs

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I took it between age 38-50 believing I had early menopause after hysterectomy. Apparently I didn't need to then so am worried about the 12 years I took heavy dose pills for no reason. Now at 55 blood tests show I'm menopausal, I have no help and am not confident of drs given the past. I've struggled for 2 years plus with these symptoms never dreaming it would be the meonpause 'cos I was told I had gone through that. In the meantime my spine has rupured (3 protusions), I broke my leg and my ostepath has snapped my central rib joints, yes I know you couldn't write it! And yes I stil work albeit part time now
  • Posted

Hi laura

Oh i can totally understand you not trusting medics, disgusting.

And Premarin too. ( equine hrt) pregnant mares urine.

Take it this was a GP and not a Gyno.

Hope you receive some expert advise hun

Wish you all the best

Jay

• Posted

Thank you, I had no idea, oh for g* sake, now I have really no idea what to do and who to trust, gosh, thought I was low yesterday! But do appreciate you telling me Jay smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.