on sertraline 3.5 weeks felt better then binged mdma. Will ssri work again? Please help: opinions

Posted , 2 users are following.

I took sertraline for 50 mg 1st week. Then 100mg for 2 weeks.

By 3rd week, I felt so much better I had almost no anxiety and my depression was starting to lift big time! 

Then I increased dose to 150mg and by the second day I was feeling jittery and anxious again but my depression was still feeling much better.

I made a fatal mistake. I binged on mdma for 2 nights... took 3 on the first night and rolled a little bit. Then took 8 on the second night and felt nothing but sick. No positives.

It has been 4 days and I am feeling foggy, anxious but worst of all I feel the depression and OCD coming back in full force.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences as to if my sertraline will actually start working again in the future? I am really wondering if I have cancelled out the therapeutic effect permanently?

I know it was stupid. I seriously regret it and I will never ever take anything else than my medication(I do not want to drink either). 

Thank you for any help. I truly hope someone has heard of a story like mine and is willing to share. Even if it's from another drug that caused an SSRI to stop working.... any stories will truly help. Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dont worry you more than likely have not done any lasting damage.

Taking MDMA and an SSRI reduces the effects of both the MDMA and the SSRI. Because Zoloft won't work as well if you're also taking ecstasy, your depression may not be treated as successfully and you’ll probably feel like crap for a few days.

As it’s your first few weeks everything is heightened and it’s a rollercoster even without MDMA wink

• Posted

John. Thank you for taking the time to write to help me out. I really hope the ssri will start working again. At the 3rd week mark, it was definately starting to kick in for my depression and my anxiety was almost entirely gone(until I increased from 100mg to 150mg and then took mdma).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.